A + B = C method doesn’t always apply

In my first semester in Citytech I took a class called Corporate Identity, a class that teaches you how to create a booklet about the identity of the company (like logo, color scheme, font type, and things of that nature).  And I have to be honest, I learned a lot in that class.
 One lesson that always stuck with me was the A+B=C Method, which is used to help create logos.  You identify what the company is about (A), add the company name (B), and add them together to create a logo (equals C).  It works great for me when guiding a client who doesn’t have a vision for the logo.
 But the A + B = C method doesn’t always apply, especially when the client knows the vision.  This happened to me when the director described two visions she had in mind.  One was Lips of a young woman and the other was a parrot.  The director wanted to think “outside the box” when it came to the company’s logo.  I kinda related to it because everyone has an opinion on social media and the two kinda feel like talkative icons.
 Since it needed to be done in vector art, designing a parrot was a bit of a challenge for me but i felt the lips can work in my favor.  I designed a few lips. At one point i thought to myself “Instagram is like a drug” (has to be true cause i’m always on it) so i added a capsule pill on the bottom of the lip with the initials HL.  When I presented the lips with pill logo to the director, she thought it was a great design and picked it for the company logo.