Safdar Jang, Study 1 Delhi, India 2006

f473406

The title of the photograph is “Safdar Jang, Study 1 Delhi, India 2006”.  It taken by Michael Kenna in India.  Delhi is a metropolitan region in India.  It is the world’s second most populous city and the largest city in India.  It is a very beautiful black and white image.  The mood of this photograph convey a feeling to me is calm and peaceful.  When I see this photograph, I really want to take a trip to go there to take a look.

In the photograph, we can see the building of Delhi.  Kenna uses the technique of line, pattern, shadow, contrast of light and dark, and balance in this photograph.  He uses two diagonal lines that get closer together.  These two lines create a sense of depth and distance.  These two diagonal lines lead my eye into the photograph.  Line is one of the most important photographic elements.  It draws the viewer’s eye into the image and gives a photograph a sense of depth and distance.  We also see the technique of repetition in this photo.  The entrances of the building which repeat and create a pattern.  The pattern creates a horizontal line on the bottom and it creates the illusion that the repetition is infinite.  Patterns bring a sense of visual rhythm and harmony to photographs.  In this image, we see the shadow of the building.  It is a very clear and a sharp shadow.  The shadows also guided the viewer’s attention.  In my opinion, shadow is the most powerful when used in black and white photograph.  The contrast of the light and dark is in this image can also gives viewer’s attention.  The visual elements show in this image evenly.  It is a symmetrical balance.

This is a very beautiful photograph and the objects which appears most clearly focused in a photograph.  I really like it.

This entry was posted in LL 1-Composition. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Safdar Jang, Study 1 Delhi, India 2006

1. rmichals says:

Well observed. As you state converging lines lead us to look right in the center. The symmetry created from left to right by the placement in the frame is made even stronger by the symmetry created vertically by the reflection.