HW1

http://michaelkenna.net/gallery.php?id=14

Michael Kenna’s photograph Winter Morning is the image that stuck out to me the most in his gallery. The subject of this photo is emphasizing the emptiness in the park during a winter morning. There is not a single human like figure in this photograph which gives more to the emptiness and distance.
There is a focus point on the statue in the center of the photograph but the symmetry of the photograph doesn’t limit the viewer. It allows the viewer to stray away from the focus and search for another subject in the photograph. The photographer took his shot on the same height on the rim of statue to show the viewer that the statue isn’t obscuring anything. In the photograph there is a great amount of contrast between the foreground and background and creates a large viewing distance for the viewer. These element show the viewer there isn’t anyone around this park or anywhere near and gives the photograph an alone feeling. Making this area feel both empty and secluded from everyone in the city. I feel very drawn to this photo because sometimes feeling secluded in this city isn’t bad at all. Especially is a beautiful place like this park.

About luczak.mark

I am a 20 year old student attending New York City College of Technology. I am studying for a BA in Illustration. I'm a native New Yorker and draw a lot of inspiration from the city around me. This portfolio is a collection of my progression in digital and traditional illustration.
This entry was posted in HW1-photo description. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to HW1

1. rmichals says:

Lovely choice. I think Kenna often gets up early tone able to shoot when no one is around.