LL3 – BHS

There are quite a few differences between the daguerreotypes we saw today and the photographs I have taken this semester. The daguerreotypes we saw today were all posed human subjects in a studio type setting with neutral expression on their faces. These images were taken and immediately transferred to a small physical object, which is a copper plate coated in silver, and were devoid of any color. The photographs I have taken this semester are mostly of structures and objects from the environment and were candid and taken outdoors. The digital photographs are stored as data and then transferred to a computer where I can choose to publish them digitally or print them at a later date to the size of my liking only limited by the resolution the photo was taken in.

The format differences between the two changes the experience significantly, as modern technology allows me to be mobile with my equipment. I have the opportunity to capture life in a more natural and candid state as it is actually occurring, where as with the daguerreotypes the portability was limited. The difference in exposure time is also significant, allowing facial expressions to be captured as they are as opposed to a more blank look as subjects with the daguerreotype had because they had to remain still for the extended exposure time. Digital technology also allows more room for error and variety as I can take a few hundred photos and choose the best ones from the bunch at no added cost. With the daguerreotypes you got what you shot and there was a cost to take a second or third take on a picture. However, one thing you can not replicate with digital photos is the finishing on daguerreotype prints – although a metallic or lustre paper could be used to replicate this, you will never get the full effect of viewing a print on silver.

This entry was posted in LL3-BHS. Bookmark the permalink.