Brooklyn Historical Society – Sandra Jarro

Today at the Brooklyn Historical Society I handle the daguerreotype, A type of photograph taken many years ago. The difference between that photograph and the photographs I have been taking this semester is that actual color. The daguerreotype mostly includes a pose of a person that has one unique facial expression. Or sometimes of a family. Meanwhile one photograph I took included many objects such as flowers, grass, trees, or even people. The daguerreotype is also a one colored image, black and white, but the images I took are colorful. Another difference would be the single size of the daguerreotype which was small but my image can be sized however I want.
I learned that the people posing in the daguerreotype had to keep a pose for about 20 seconds, no movement whatsoever. Then that photo was processed through many chemicals in order to have the final result. The experience in taking that photograph I believe was way more harder than the regular photos we take today. For example some of the photos I have taken were shots I believed were good enough to portray an element we learned in class. Also, those photos where taken in one single shot and at one time.

This entry was posted in LL3-BHS. Bookmark the permalink.