Concierge Marketing Assignment

PDF of Concierge Assignment

Selection of NYC Attraction is Due Before Class Begins, Week 8 (changed from week 9)

Written Assignment is Due in Class, Week 11

Presentations will be Conducted Week 11

­­

Task

Consider all that New York has to offer visitors and New Yorkers alike. Consider also places in New York that you have never visited but would like to explore; perhaps a museum, an art gallery, a park, a sports arena, a restaurant and so much more. Make a list of these places. Then choose one to visit considering 1) significance to the culture of New York, 2) the attraction’s point of difference and 3) the target demographic of the attraction.

After your site visit write an essay describing 1) it’s significance to the culture of NY, 2) what makes the attraction unique, 3) who is the target demographic, 4) examples of hospitality you witnessed, 5) areas of improvement in guest service

Role and Audience

You are the Concierge of an upscale hotel in Manhattan; you will use your research to communicate to your guests about NYC attractions.

Format

Assignment selections

• Post your chosen tourist attraction on OpenLab as a response on the “Experiential Learning Assignment” page (do not create a post). Include a brief statement as to why this site is significant to the culture of New York including a reference
  • Only one student per attraction

Written portion, 2-2½ page essay (10% of total grade)

• APA format and standards, proper grammar, sentence structure, spelling…
  • Minimum of three credible references
  • Exhibit the ability to evaluate the importance of the tourist attraction or historically significant location to the New York City hospitality industry
  • Provide evidence of the importance of employees as a part of the product and how an employee influences the guest’s experience.
  • See writing rubric

Oral presentation (10% of total grade)

• Students will be divided into three groups (each person will work independently)
  • Students will conduct a three minute presentation in small group settings of 3-4 people, no questions will be asked at this time (see oral communication rubric)
  • Students should be prepared to repeat their presentation 4- 6 times to both classmates and faculty members
  • Upon completion of the small group presentations, students will have the opportunity to ask individual questions to their classmates
  • Students will nominate their peers’ presentation for a variety of “Best of…” awards.

Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this assignment, students will be able to:

• Discuss scope of the hospitality and tourism industry
  • Gather information from observation in regard to the hospitality industry from a local, national and global perspective
  • Evaluate and examine hotel classifications
  • Engage in high impact and industry specific written and oral communication

42 thoughts on “Concierge Marketing Assignment

1. Tiffany

I Tiffany Hickman would like to visit the Barclay center. This place offers a lot of culture and tourist to see basketball games, performances, and it’s in the heart of downtown Brooklyn NY.

2. Tatianna.Taylor

I’ll be doing Grand Central Terminal. It has been around for 100 years which means lots of changes and lots of history. Plenty of movies have been shot there making it just that much more interesting.

3. Ayako

Dear Prof. Goodlad,
    I would like to choose the Rockefeller Center.
    The reasons why I choose this place are corroboration with Arts and Buildings, rich historical background, exciting events, very famous place for popular movies
    Due to these reasons, every traveler can feel the culture of NY in this place.

4. nicole marie

Dead Professor Goodlad.
    I will be choosing the World Trade Center memorial. The reason is because I had a close family member who worked there, and I’m thankful he’s still alive. The building has a lot history and it changed the lives of New Yorkers.

1. nicole marie

Dead Professor Goodlad, I meant to say thatI will be choosing the One World Trade Center. The reason is because I had a close family member who almost passed away on 9/11 and I’m thankful he’s still alive. The new building holds a lot of meaning and its one the of the highlights of New York.

5. David C

Hi Prof. Goodlad, i’ll be choosing the Apollo Theater because of the abundant amount of musicians that have played there that launched their careers there, like the Jackson 5 and James Brown.

6. Victoria Kitsos

Hi Prof. Goodlad,
    I’m not sure if I am posting this in the right place, but I would like to choose The Empire State Building. I have lived in New York City all of my life and I have never made the trip to see The Empire State Building. I know when I think of New York City The Empire State Building comes to mind. It is filled with New York’s culture, and attraction.

7. Murielle

good morning Professor Goodlad. I would like to chooses the 9/11 memorial ground. Not only is it a part of NYC’s culture its a great part of it’s history.

1. Prof. Karen Goodlad Post author

Nicole has already chosen the World Trade Center. Please communicate with her to ensure that your will do separate attractions. I am OK if one of you will do the museum and one the grounds where the Towers once stood. Let me know the outcome of your discussions.

8. Murielle

Good afternoon Professor,
    Since Nicole chose the 9/11 memorial ground first it’s hers. I have chosen a new place. It’s called Spa Castel. It’s a great way to spend the day with friends, family or loved ones. A spa for one and all.

9. Veronika

Hello Professor Goodlad,
    I would like to write about The Prospect Park in Brooklyn because I just love it. I think it’s a perfect place to visit and feel the spirit of New York. By the way, the park’s landscape designer who also created The Central Park in Manhattan liked The Prospect park more.

10. Ke Yi (Kelly)

Hello Professor Goodlad,
    After a few research of New York City attractions, I wanted to write about the metropolitan museum of art because I think it’s an extremely fun place to go to looking at the art and American dream. I have never been there and would want to visit and I heard that it was very important to New York City.

11. Eirini (Irene)

Hello Professor Goodlad,
    I would like to write about the Broadway Theater, It has been around for many years, played a lot of loved plays, and It is an amazing place on Time Square and has a great importance.

12. Irina Kupershteyn

hello professor,
    Can I choose floyd bennet field? Copied and pasted from the site and im interested in it “Once an important New York City airport, Floyd Bennett Field—part of Gateway National Recreation Area—is now dedicated to the celebration of aviation history, sports, and the great outdoors. A wonderful escape from the bustle of the urban life, it is unlike any other place in the city. “

13. Welthy

Dear Professor Goodlad,
    I would like to write about Sunset Park because it has a lot of history since around the 1930’s and it is a place tourist would love because it offers a lovely faraway vista of Manhattan.

14. Jamesha Andrews

Dear Professor Goodlad,
    I decided to do the Museum of Modern Art . I think this museum has a lot of historical background since it was established November 7,1929. Plus I have always wanted to see this museum since I already went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

15. Peter Zhang

Hi Prof.Goodlad
    I decided to focus on central park known as a national historic landmark, which was initially opened in 1857, the park is filled with rich history, culture, and visited by more than millions of people annually

1. Peter Zhang

I want to check out the Belvedere Castle, Grand army plaza(Manhattan) currently, there might be more I want to visit as soon as I research more attractions in the central

16. jiajie tan

Hi Prof.Goodlad, I would like to choose St. Patrick’s Cathedral(Manhhattan) because it has a rich history and it is a art. I want to explore inside and analyze its origin.

17. Charlie

I would love to do Historic Richmond Town on Staten Island. It shows how life was like in New York back in colonial times trough the use of tours and demonstrations.