The Dancer and the dance

This chapter talks about the rhythms. According to the dictionary.com, rhythm is defined as “the movement or procedure with uniform or patterned recurrence”. It occurs in all forms of language, no matter in written or spoken. It acts as a tonic in a poem and is important in poetry. Rhythm in writing is like the beat in music. It could affect by emotion, the movement of your body, as well as your feelings of the outside world, such as the pulsing of waves on the shore, the alternations of day and night. The most common form of rhythm is repetition, which is the writer creates rhythm by repeating words or phrases. Moreover, we use a set of symbols or signs to divide lines of poetry into feet, which is called “scansion”

3 Responses to The Dancer and the dance

1. Joju Qu says:

I’ve always tried to find the Rhythm in poetry. It makes it much easier to understand the context of the authors choosy word-flow. I’ve seen modern poets actually stringtheirwordstogether like so to force the reader to hear it a certain way.

2. jsylvesterd says:

Rhythm in my opinion makes the poem seem like a song since most artists use this technique in their lyrics. It makes the song more “catchy” and pleasing to the ear. When using repetition the reader could predict the next words to come this may make it more interesting to them.

3. mchave says:

When it comes to poetry Rhythm can play a big role into ones feelings toward a poem. According to google rhythm is “1.A strong, regular, repeated pattern of movement or sound”. In a poem its easy to determine wether there is rhythm or not. I agree with the fact that rhythm may sometimes better a poem. All in all rhythm is just another element that is used in poetry and everyday life.