Bondage V.S. Freedom

“The Silken Tent” by Robert Frost was an interesting poem that we read in class. It was somewhat confusing trying to interpret at first and with everyone else’s interpretations being thrown out in the open, I found myself lost in translation. Finally when i was alone, I read it over and over again and I seemed to have stuck to the word i chose in class which was bondage. The speaker speaks of  many ways that the tent is being held down by silken ties, ropes and a pole. That is the bondage being put into play to hold the tent down. This reminded me of a woman being held down, not able to spread her wings in a sense and having to stay bounded to someone, some place or even something. For example, a young woman reaching her pinnacle in life but tied down by her parents not wanting her to explore new horizons. The following experts caught my eye:

“Has dried the dew and all its ropes relent”

“And its supporting central cedar pole”

“Seems to owe naught to any single cord”

“But strictly held by none, is loosely bound”

“Is of the slightest bondage made aware”

This poems is like the young woman finally breaking loose from her bondage of her parents and being “loosely bound”. Finally being sure of herself to b free and explore. With her “central cedar pole” being her parents and them finally loosening their “countless silken ties of love and thought”. I believe many people can relate to this poem in many ways but this is how i can relate to it in my own way.