First Responder ” What’s it Like?”

Wow! It took reading the chapter twice to really be able to distinguish the use of similes, metaphors, analogies, synesthesia and allusion. I must say that the most dramatic was the metaphor and as the author stated it made a greater impact, and was more concentrated than the use of a simile. I agree with the author who wrote that in similes comparing A to B meant that B was more familiar to a writer. In “Habitation” however, the author attempted to compare A to B but not actually saying what B was. Instead she gives clues as to what B might be. At first I disagreed that this was really a metaphor but then I analyzed the poem. A simile uses as, like but in a metaphor we transfer identities. After repeating this to myself a few times I saw where it made sense.  As I continued to read I came across analogies. Not my favorite. Takes a moment to unscramble what is really being said. Is their a similarity amongst unlike objects? It seems that you can find some similarity as in ” True ease in writing comes from art, not chance, As those move easiest who have learned to dance.” Writing and dance are not generally considered to be similar  or in any form resemble each other but the ease of writing seems to be compared to the ease at which a learned dancer is able to move or dance. Check out Linda Pastan in the link below. She is awesome. Can anyone distinguish whether she is using a simile, a metaphor or otherwise? Enjoy.

One Response to First Responder ” What’s it Like?”

1. emily says:

I agree with your statement. Any poetry that uses analogy, takes a while to dissemble. As for similes and metaphors, it is very easy to get them confused. But one way I learned to differentiate between similes and metaphors; metaphors uses more personification than similes. “The 5 stages of grief” is beautiful. Even, though, it is sad because the person is accepting death. It uses personification and some similes. “Why are your poem so dark” uses a little of personification, synthesis and analogy. I enjoy both of these poems. Please post more if can.