Visual Quote Project

“Art is not a thing, it is a way.” – Elbert Hubbard

I chose this quote because it caught my attention. I do agree with this quote because art is a way for me to explore and not just something for me to look at.

Sketches

Sketch #1: The image above is the first sketch that I did for this quote. I was planning to put two arrows going through the opening space of the letters to show the different directions each arrow can lead to.

Sketch #2: The image above is the second sketch that I did for this quote. I placed the word “art” in the center, with the phrases leaning against the word. I placed four arrows going in four different corner, which means there are four different ways art can bring you.

Sketch #3: The image above is the third sketch that I did for this quote. I placed the quote somewhere near the bottom center, with the word “way” in three separate arrows going different directions.

Process

Draft #1: I placed the word “art” in caps and in the center, along with two arrows going in opposite directions. Each arrow has a different phrase “sitting” on it, which represents the rest of the quote.

Draft #2: As seen from the second sketch, I placed the word “art” in big letters in the center of the page. I have four small arrows going in four different corners, which represents the different directions art can bring you.

Draft #3: For this concept, I placed almost the entire quote near the bottom center with three small arrows representing three different paths.

Final Concepts

"Art is not a thing, it is a way."

Concept #1: I placed the word “art” in bold and uppercase letters near the bottom of the page. I added two long, red arrows going through the open space of the letter R, in which it represents the different directions that art can bring you. I used the color red for the arrows to try to catch the audience’s attention, since red is a color usually used for alertness. Then, I placed the text on top of the red arrows, where each text goes a different way.

"Art is not a thing, it is a way."

Concept #2: For this concept, I placed the word “art” in the center, also in uppercase case letters and bold font. The pink triangle at the bottom is meant to be symbolizing a path, while the blue background is meant to be symbolizing the sky. I placed the two phrases “is not a thing” and “it is a way” inside the letter T.

"Art is not a thing, it is a way."

Concept #3: I decided to change the background to black and the text to white, in order to bring the text to attention. The arrows are colored in red and white and are going in three different directions.