Field Trip – Museum of the City of NY

May 13, 2019

Photo of the Museum of the City of NY (credit)

I attended a field trip to the Museum of the City of New York and was amazed by the exhibitions that were currently there. At first sight, the museum looked like an old building, but the interior looks nice and elegant.

Starlight exhibition

The photo shown above is the Starlight exhibition and this caught my attention when I first entered the museum. The way the light installations just dangles near the circled staircase and the way it is positioned in front of the window; it makes the light look like diamonds.

New York at Its Core

This piece was found in the New York at Its Core exhibition, in which it shows the history of New York. In this exhibition, it maps out a part of the timeline, up until the 2000s. What I found interesting about this photo is how the work of typography is used in this. The way some words are bold or bigger in font size. There are some signs of hierarchy, such as Money, Diversity, Density, and Creativity. Next to each of these words are some small text based on each title, which might be the second level of hierarchy.

A City for Corduroy

This piece was found in the A City for Corduroy exhibition, where the works of Don Freeman were being displayed. Corduroy is widely known as the stuffed bear in green overalls and is popular in the classic books published by Don Freeman. What I found interesting about this piece was how it was made on a illustration program. The way there is a black outline and then they added in colors on the opposite page.