Journal 16 – Trip at the Museum of the City of New York

The trip to the Museum of the City of New York  was an amazing experience, being that I never visited this museum before this was a whole new experience for me. From the moment we’ve entered the museum everything was so new because the exterior doesn’t look like a museum. A pond seeing the structure you would have never thought it to be a museum if it wasn’t for the signage. The atmosphere walking in seems so fresh and clean, you can sense that you are going to experience some cool things ahead in your tour.

One of the first things I really enjoyed was how the stair cases were designed, as a person who has taken the stairs many times in her life this was a whole new experience that amaze me as a visitor. These staircases gives you a sense  of history about New York, especially with the quotes or statements from different sources.  If I’m not mistaken the designs of the staircase starts from the first floor and then make their way up to the third. What I liked about this is how quotes and statements make their way onto the third floor. They use the same font but then the quotes go into the theme of Dr. Martim Luther King Jr.  exhibit titled KING IN NEW YORK.

This brings me to this exhibit to which I found to be very informed, reflective and proud. In this exhibit I learned the murder of King was a shock wave of grief to many New Yorkers. Schools, museums and even the New York Stock Exchange closed  due to the marches and rallies people were having in New York and all around the world. In addition this was not something that lasted one day there were several days that this type of activists activity was going on. People were very responsive and dedicated to bring about change to such a terror and disgusting act that happened. I can see this in today’s society with the #Blacklivesmatter movement and I see this in all these preventable deaths of people who were completely innocent. This is the type of things that I love to see, people from all different backgrounds coming together and working together to fight for a cause. This is something that is continued in the BEYOND SUFFRAGE exhibit, which gives your a timeline of how women rise up in society. I enjoyed this show with all it’s colors and material showing women being in power. I love how as a women you feel as sense of empowerment once you walk in the exhibit area. This exhibit puts the spotlight on and highlights the women who are the faces of this movement. This lives on in today’s #Metoo movement with how women should feel that they can speak up if they are in any harassment and/or violent situation in the working field. I thing history likes to repeats it self, and I believe it does this  until we gets it right.