After I finished designing my resume and portfolio, it was time to search for internship opportunities. The COMD Communications Design Internship Coordination Site is a good start for City Tech students to begin their process. There you can find resources to help you write a resume and set up a portfolio. You will also find a list of internship opportunities and other websites that will help maximize your search.

For my internship search, I used a few of the links on the site, but I felt comfortable with using indeed.com because I already had my information registered. It made it easier to apply to multiple internships because my resume and cover letter were already there, even the assessment answers. I would also get emails with new openings related to my search – graphic design intern, remote. Besides indeed, I also used LinkedIn, Chegg, and Way-up and reached out to a web developer relative. Some providers that responded were requesting interns to do an assignment to test design capabilities.

One mistake I committed while waiting for a response was not checking my spam/junk mailbox. I had received two interview offers, but it was too late by the time I realized it. I still replied, thanking them for the opportunity, and asked if it was still available, even though I knew it wasn’t. After that, I made sure I checked my spam mail first.

I tried not to panic through this process because I know we live in a world full of opportunities. I made sure to apply to multiple internships daily, where I felt I was a good fit. One of the last parts of this process is waiting for responses and being one step ahead by practicing and preparing for the interview. I prepared myself by writing down possible answers to interview questions and questions for the interviewer.

By the following week, the Communications Director for Business Connect reached out to me for an interview. I made sure to visit the company’s website and learn about them beforehand. During the interview, I was asked about my strength and weakness. For weakness, my response was that “I don’t know how to say no and ask for help.” One of the questions I prepared for the interviewer was, “what are some of the challenges others in this position have faced?” The response – a challenge that people in the past have faced is being open-minded.

After the interview was complete, I was notified that I was selected for the internship the following day. The next step was meeting with the CEO of Business Connect and an onboarding group meeting with the other interns, where we introduced each other and learned more about Business Connect and what they do.