Welcome to 021 ESL Writing!
Click here to join the class meeting MWF at 8:00am after completing your blog post.
This course focuses on developing language and academic writing skills. Students will practice reading for comprehension and drafting, revising and summarizing skills. They will polish their grammar with a focus on creating academic level complex sentence structure while avoiding sentence fragments and run-ons. Students will work extensively on paragraph and essay organization, and on writing multiple drafts of proofread, edited and reedited essays.
- Write a well-organized and coherent discussion essay in response to a college level text
- Write a narrative essay
- Develop a response essay using outside sources
- Develop effective thesis statements and topic sentences
- Identify key ideas from the reading and discuss them in essays
- Quote from the original text to support his/her own opinion or view
- Use general knowledge or personal examples to support that view
- Integrate his/her own ideas with those expressed by the authors in various texts
- Use brainstorming and outlining strategies in pre-writing practice
- Edit essays for content and organization
- Proofread essays for grammar and mechanics
- Broaden general knowledge base by doing extensive reading
- Develop successful discussion of issues from texts
- Refer to the text using supporting evidence by paraphrasing or using direct quotations
- Learn patterns of writing that can be used to respond to questions effectively
- Practice transition strategies that will assist in writing logical essays
- Acquire test-taking strategies geared to time allocation and organization