Project 2: Location description

20140924_125927 20140924_130159 20140924_130215

I consider my location unique because I found it in the most unexpected place. Some may even say it was a planned mistake. I framed the picture from the intersection of Clinton and Remsen street. I had to physically stand in the road in order to get the shot of my juxtaposition. When someone first looks at the picture, they may not see the juxtaposition immediately which gives me more of a reason to explain. This juxtaposition entails an old church building and a skyscraper in the distance. In my opinion this is one of the best examples that display two different New Yorks. On the right side of the picture, the old New York is displayed as a catholic church building. It has a pointed roof and pin point black fences that circle around the property. From what I saw, the primary material of this building are large, brownish cement bricks. In the present day time, these kind of materials are no longer used in the process of construction. Based on the detail and build of the structure I determined that it was from an old New York. It’s old fashioned design may even hold its own significant story of the past. With this in mind, I was able to see how the present day New York was built around the structure along with how it has fit in as the years past.

In the distance, I spotted the second part of my juxtaposition. This consists of a silver sky scraper that stands out above most of the other buildings. This structure had a sleek glassy design that glistens in the sun. At first sight, I felt a futuristic vibe from the building. In the picture frame it is slightly covered by the trees at the side. However, this is the best angle I could acquire without disrupting traffic. When I observing this juxtaposition, I realized a sense of symbolism. The old church building that is closer to me symbolizes the past. It  represents the old age of the city as we know it. After following the road to its vantage point, one can see the skyscraper right at the end. I believe this could symbolize the path from the “Old New York” up into the ” present New York”.