Learning Self-Analysis

Learning Self Analysis

New York City College of Technology has taught me a great amount throughout my educational career. I learned all the needed skills to head out into the field once I graduated. One of the most important skills I learned in City Tech was critical thinking. Critical thinking is the essence of nursing, for it is a skill that we utilize no matter where we go. It does not matter what specialty one is in, or what unit a nurse is in, she or he will always use critical thinking. This skills helps us maximize the nursing process–another great concept taught in City Tech. The nursing process includes assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. The nursing process is another great skill that I learned in City Tech, for it taught me how to assess for symptoms, identify potential complications, and plan out a treatment process that will help improve patient outcomes.

The clinical experience helped me learn how to properly perform vitals, start an IV, how to perform a urinary catheterization, etc. I learned the computer systems of different hospitals  as well as how to administer medications.

The lecture taught me to keep myself updated with evidence based practice and to take advantage of nursing research. I learned about safe practices, how to monitor for drug interactions, to identify disease processes, how to properly prevent infection and how to handle stressful situations. City Tech has blessed me greatly, and I can’t thank the staff enough for all the wisdom and knowledge they have brought upon us.