Sojourner’s truth to being a woman

The structure of Sojourner Truth’s original speech in 1851 and the Francis Gage version held powerful tones in the reality of a black woman and the inferiority that was placed against who she was and the women’s rights she stood for.  In the Gage version of Truth’s transcribed speech, the words “and ar’nt I a woman?” are repeated several times after she states “Nobody eber helps me into carriages or ober mud-puddles, or gives me any best place” and “I have plowed and planted and gathered into barns, and no man could head me”. These different experiences that Sojourner has gone through showed the lack of recognition and respect she has been given due to her gender and race. Black woman under slavery were deemed as nothing but the lowest and inadequate which in itself was a crime of hate. The struggles that she faced were emphasized with the words “and ar’nt I a woman” as a way to remind the audience that her virtues and the work she has been forced to toil through is just as important as what the men have done all their lives. Men saw women as the “downfall of mankind”, which was referenced in Robinson transcription as she spoke about the actual worth women had in the bible and the roles they had played with Jesus. These religious inputs helped connect Sojourner to the audience and get them to understand her own point of view. It was greatly expressed that women should have just as much of the same rights as men, especially if they’re doing the same type of labor, and should not be treated as if they beneath the social construct they were given throughout history.

3 thoughts on “Sojourner’s truth to being a woman”

1. Both versions of this speech have their positives and negatives, but I can’t help but feel like Gage’s version was somewhat unnecessary. In my opinion, it’s just like, why? What was wrong with the original? But I do understand how it benefits the original, as you’ve stated.

2. I also agree with you stance and statement on Sojourner’s speech on which race also dramatically impacted someone’s status in that time periods society on top of being a women and look down upon because of this. As well as the point on how women her Repetition of the phrase “ain’t I a women” further reinforcing her point of women being undermined in the society and constantly having to speak up and stand up to social norms being oppressed for being a women as well for women of color.

3. I also agree with you stance and statement on Sojourner’s speech on which race also dramatically impacted someone’s status in that time periods society on top of being a women and look down upon because of this. As well as the point on how women her Repetition of the phrase “ain’t I a women” further reinforcing her point of women being undermined in the society and constantly having to speak up and stand up to social norms being oppressed for being a women as well for women of color.