“Ain’t I a woman?”

Sojourner’s speech

It left a big impact on me, since it was not something regular it was a way of letting people know that women have to have power just like men. Almost in every line of this speech there are comparisons of how men and women after all are not so different. The women used Christianity in their favor, to let society know how important they are. “And how came Jesus into the world?”
Through God who created him and woman who bore him.

At that time there was a great contradiction of what the bible said, men always used it in their favor since they had more knowledge in reading.

Although the second speech was unducated writing, upon hearing it, my pervasive change completely. Because I could understand that his way of writing the speech had a particular purpose. It was because he wanted to emphasize the great power that women had, especially black women, they just needed to be given the right support. And ar’nt a woman? This line conveyed courage and in each repetition left you thinking about how unfair it was not to give women the value they deserved.

3 thoughts on ““Ain’t I a woman?””

1. I thought that it was important that women used Christianity in their favor as well, like imagining people’s faces when they read that for the first time in that time period. Talk about turning a negative into a positive!

2. I agree with you and I also thought the second speech was quite different and I had a bad perspective at first but as I read it I thought it was very interesting how they used that language to emphasize the power of the speech and the message that sojourner was giving out. I also believe that the second one was to show the power of black women.