Weekly response 2 Sojourner Truth, “Ain’t I a Woman?”

In Sojourner Truth’s, “Ain’t I a Woman?”  speech Sojourner made many valid claims and statements about women during her time period as an African American woman growing up during slavery and her unique perspective on how women were treated differently from men.  Throughout the slavery period in which this point proves how far the inequality between men and women has stemmed through time. Sojourner throughout her speech makes a direct comparison of herself to men comparing and stating “I have plowed and reaped and husked and chopped and mowed, and can any man do more than that? I have heard much about the sexes being equal; I can carry as much as any man, and can  eat as much too if  I can get it.” In this direct quotation from Sojourner, she takes direct comparison to men as she compares the sheer workload from what men do and how she’s totally capable of handling all the tasks men have to do and aren’t recognized for or appreciated as an equal. Because of how she is seen as a woman in this time period and underlooked for not who she is or what her capabilities are but rather at face value and as a woman instead of someone who can work just as hard as a man can and pull her own weight in labor. In another quote from Sojourner, “You need not be afraid to give us our rights for fear we will take too much, for we can’t take more than our pint’ll hold” With this quote, Sojourner points out how men can be afraid of a women’s power and can feel undermined by women when all women ask is equality and fair treatment for there actions as women and that men should be afraid of this because there is no threat to men is being proposed.

2 thoughts on “Weekly response 2 Sojourner Truth, “Ain’t I a Woman?””

1. Yes, Sojourner is comparing herself to the men . I agree with how you explained, the way she was being treated. She was working just as hard as the men, but they did not even allowed her to eat as much as the men. They saw her as a threat, but all she wanted was a ‘pint.’

2. I like how you constructed your response. The way you used the quotes then explained what they meant gave me a very clear vision as to what points you were trying to make. Your response was very well thought out and I also thought a lot of the same things you expressed.