Hey, there Future student,

I would like to briefly tell you about my experience in ENG 1121. This year has been an emotional rollercoaster for everybody in the world with the pandemic. Social distancing is required, this year’s plans are put on halt and meetings are now virtual. For me being a virtual student, fortunately for me, I was happy that classes are now virtual, which means less physical interaction with students and the professor. I say that due to having social anxiety and it can be difficult to be in a social setting around people with who you are not familiar. As for assignments went, it was easy to get done and I had a lot of free time, outside of other classes, to get them done. Texts that were related to each assignment felt more relaxed to read since I was in the comfort of my home, although some were a bit long. One important piece of advice I would give you is to time manage each work that you do. Yes being at home and doing work can be way more flexible, but it can easily creep up on you if you are not planning correctly. I also recommend brainstorming different ideas for your assignments. It is always good to have different options for information to write about. Lastly, use a grammar writing tool like Grammarly when formatting your essays. It makes doing your work sound formal and helps you expand your vocabulary with advanced words.

Speaking of assignments and readings, there is two of them that stayed with me. The first reading is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s speech, responding to Ted Yoho’s derogatory comments.  Her response comes from the sexism and disrespectful behavior men portray at the workplace when it comes to women. The reason this stays with me is that I have been around and seen on social media men being extremely disrespectful towards women, who are simply doing their jobs.  It is great to see a woman know what they want and be a boss at work, but seeing a man challenging her authority, due to his ego, is not acceptable. It is also great to see A.O.C stand up confidently about how she felt and saw an opportunity to address what happened. Another assignment is the Discourse community. As a Black man, there is no hiding the fact that my discourse community is being killed due to police brutality because of our skin color. This assignment stays with me because it is relatable, personal, and it shed a light on a deep-rooted problem that has been going on since the first year of policing. I, myself, learned information that I never knew, and taught me efficient solutions to decrease police brutality.

This class will help me in future classes. For instance, when I did major assignments, which were at least 1,000 worded, it was broken down into segments which helped build my essays, correctly. Now when I have to do a big project, I will make sure I set a day to do one part, go continue from there.

Sincerely,

Shannon Forrester