The article “What to Negro is the Fourth of July? is an oration for the 76th Anniversary of Independence made by Frederick Douglass at the Corinthian Hall. In Douglass’s speech he strongly spoke out against slavery and he shows the hypocrisy that is being demonstrated on a certain group of people for generations in relation to 4th,  of July.

In his speech Douglass said “Must I argue that a system of slavery thus marked with blood and stain ed with pollution, is wrong? No! I will not. I have better employments for my time and strength than such arguments would imply.” (10)  But Douglass clearly highlighted and showed the disparity and from his tone you know that he is saddened about The 4th of July not being a celebration for the American slaves as he refers to this group of people but just a day to reminds them of being constant victims of injustice and cruelty and the celebration is only one of pretense.

The different scenarios that Douglass uses like in our politics, religious liberty, and even in our churches strengthen his message that he is trying to get across to his audience. Clearly, that slavery still exists and a nation becoming free and really seeing the through the sense of Independence there is much more work needed to be done. The video indicates that for generations as a nation we have been trying to gain our true Independence, but we should not give up hope but just keep trying. 

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/sites/default/files/inline-pdfs/Douglass