Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - HD18 | Spring 2022

Preliminary Research and Picking a Topic

My topic is about American Infrastructure. Specifically, I’d like to talk about how our infrastructure needs to shift away from its car-centric design. I read about this topic, as well as watched a few videos to get my knowledge up to speed, and I found some pretty notable things to use for my argument, such as clear environmental issues that car dependency causes, as well as the socioeconomic effects of having cars be the prioritized mode of transport.

Three Questions: How can we shift our society away from cars? Are American cities efficient the way they are now? Can we afford to overhaul our current city designs?

1. Ruth Garcia

Kenny, Can you say a bit more about your topic so I can help you narrow it down? For example, are you going to argue for a law that limits the use of cars? I’m thinking of laws that say that only certain license plates can drive into the city on particular days. Or are you going to argue that American’s should give up their cars? You need a bit more focus and specificity.