Week 5: Developing & Revising Unit 1
Monday, 9/26: No classes scheduled
For Wednesday, 9/28 (in-person session at City Tech)
- Bring a printed out copy of your Unit 1 Draft for a peer review workshop
For Thursday, 9/29 (Monday Schedule – asynchronous, work due on our class site by 11:59 pm)
- Review “Writing Transitions” (Purdue OWL).
- Review “What’s a Paragraph?” by Carrie Hall.
- Read through the feedback (either from your instructor or peers) on your draft
- Work on revising Unit 1: Education Narrative
- After you write a second draft, review the presentation on paragraphing by Prof. Carrie Hall. Then return to your draft and make decisions about how to break up and organize the paragraphs.
- Next, think about your reader and the direction and flow of your piece. Where do you want the reader to pause and reflect? Where do you want to push them ahead to the next idea? Where do you want to remind them of something you said earlier? Where do you want to emphasize something? Use transition phrases to direct your reader and to connect ideas. To help you integrate transitions, consult Purdue Owl’s list of transitions and Purdue OWL’s explanation of how to write transitions.
- Return to your draft and do the following:
- Find a place where you can describe a person, place, or action/event using vivid description. Consider all five senses and add at least two to that description.
- Find two places where you can add dialogue and do so.
- Remember to format carefully and to use an MLA heading. See Purdue OWL for guidelines: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/mla_style/mla_style_introduction.html
- This work is for you. You do not have to post it. Continue to revise your work until the due date, which is Monday 10/3.
Technology and Writing Resources:
- City Tech Computer Labs (please visit http://websupport1.citytech.cuny.edu/index.html for current computer lab hours).
- City Tech Library Computer Lab: https://library.citytech.cuny.edu/services/technology/index.php
Remember that the Writing Center is a great resource: