Ethics Assignment 2

a) Being an artist for over 8 years now I know the dangers of having work stolen, used, and uncredited and how devastating and demoralizing it is. In my internship this semester I have not misused another artist’s work as I had to create original content. In group work or projects it is important to credit the right people. Because of intellectual property, if you don’t do this you can be in serious trouble and even sued for not crediting. The NYT’s article, Shepard Fairey Is Fined and Sentenced to Probation in ‘Hope’ Poster Case it involves a case of copyright between Mr. Fairey and The Associated Press over the famous Obama ‘Hope’ poster. Working as an intern taught me that even though the work I produce is made by me if I use another photo or someone else’s work, I should credit them because it is the right thing to do.

b) In this case I thought it ended fairly. The photographer was in his right to sue and demand compensation but I also feel he isn’t entitled to all the profits made off of the ‘Hope’ poster and imagery as it was created entirely by Mr. Fairey. At this point in time, the internet was just beginning, sharing photos and posting was just becoming commonplace and accessible, so I understand the need to make Mr. Fairey an example as to how we deal with copyright infringement and intellectual property. I’m sure since this lawsuit, many artists have been more cautious and thought twice before using someone else’s work.

Resources: https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/shephard-fairey-is-fined-and-sentenced-to-probation-in-hope-poster-case/