Final 1101 Syllabus

English 1101: D127 Writing About Yourself & Your Communities

Professor Lowenstein

Email: ALowensteinisaacs@citytech.cuny.edu

Welcome to ENG 1101! Together, we will write about both ourselves and the world around us. We will analyze new forms of communication, identify their rules, and write within them. The goal of this class (and ENG 1121, the second part of the First-Year Writing sequence) is to give you a toolbox of writing and communication skills that you can apply in your other coursework, in your job, and in your personal lives.

Departmental Learning Outcomes

These are the goals that all instructors in ENG 1101 and ENG 1121 want students to gain by the end of the sequence:

1. Read and listen critically and analytically in a variety of genres and rhetorical situations:Identify and evaluate exigencies, purposes, claims, supporting evidence, and underlying assumptions in a variety of texts, genres, and media.

1. Adapt and compose in a variety of genres:Adapt writing conventions in ways that are suitable to different exigencies and purposes in a variety of contexts, including academic, workplace, and civic audiences. When appropriate, repurpose prior work to new genres, audiences, and media by adjusting delivery, design, tone, organization, and language.

1. Use research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectives: Learn to focus on a topic and develop research questions that lead to propositions and claims that can be supported with well-reasoned arguments. Persuasively communicate and repurpose research projects across a variety of contexts, purposes, audiences, and media. Demonstrate research skills through proper attribution and citation gathering, evaluating, and synthesizing both primary and secondary sources. Learn how to use appropriate citation styles depending on disciplinary and situational requirements (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.)

1. Use reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about the writing processes and transfer acquired knowledge about effective reading and writing practices into new writing situations. Engage with reading and writing as a process including prewriting, writing, and continuous revision. Students write essays that demonstrate their reflection of their own writing process from the beginning and throughout the semester with the intention to transfer their acquired knowledge about genre and composing practices into new writing situations.

1. Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing: Recognize that first-year writing includes academic, workplace, and civic contexts, all of which require careful deliberation concerning the ethical and social ramifications concerning fairness, inclusivity, and respect for diversity. Write and revise for academic and broader, public audiences accordingly.

1. Compose in 21st Century Environments: Learn to choose among the most current and effective delivery methods for different composing situations, including composing in new media environments, including alphabetic texts, still and moving images, sonic, and mixed media compositions. Use digital media platforms appropriate to audience and purpose.

Online Expectations:

I will be posting an announcement and a discussion post on Mondays and Wednesdays. You must respond to the discussion posts and also keep up with the three papers that are due throughout the semester.

There will be weekly optional meetups on blackboard collaborate. I will also create discussion board threads for each paper, where you can interact with your classmates as you brainstorm ideas.

Course Projects

Unit 1: Literacy Event Narrative- Write a story about an experience that affected your literacy and a reflection on how that experience shaped you as a reader, writer, and/or thinker.

Unit 2: Research Paper-You will pick a topic related to a community that you’re a part of and conduct research on it using both general and scholarly sources. The research paper will include an annotated bibliography with citations of your sources and summaries of each source.

Unit 3: Communicating in a New Genre- Pick a mentor text in a genre that is interesting to you (blog post, opinion piece, documentary) and communicate what you learned from the annotated bibliography.

Grading

In-Class writing and class participation-10%

Writing Assignments- 40%

• Low-stakes writing 15%- This includes writing-based homework, and in-class journaling and writing assignments. They will be graded based on completion.
  • Unit projects 25%- This includes your major papers: the Literacy Event Narrative, the Research Paper and Annotated Bibliography, the Communicating in a New Genre project and the Final Reflection. They will be graded based on rubrics. Please note that this means that each of your major papers is worth only 5% of your grade. Why? Because I want to see you revise—and the best versions of what you write will be the revised versions that appear in your final portfolio.

Final Portfolio (final drafts and author’s statement)- 50%- This is the key component of the course; it is equivalent to a final exam. You will use feedback from me and revision strategies that we learn in class to write final draft, which will be presented in a writing portfolio.

What you can expect from me

I’ll give you frequent feedback- You will get comments from me on your unit projects writing, and I’ll also be giving you guidance on major projects as you draft. I will also conference individually with everyone in class twice during the semester.

I’ll teach transferrable skills- My goal isn’t just that you write the papers and do the work for this class—I want to introduce skills that you can use when you write and participate in new genres throughout your life.

I want to collaborate with you- I’m interested in co-creating this class with you. Together we’ll talk about what makes a good conversation, create a technology policy, and create rubrics together. I want it to always be clear why we do things in class—if the why isn’t clear, ask me to explain!

I’ll be a resource to you- If you have questions about the class, about City Tech, or about looking for jobs/internships, let me know! I’ll do my best to help you find the resources you need. Office hours are a great time to talk one-on-one!

Course policies

Late work- Late unit projects will result in a 10% reduction on the grade for that projet. Late portfolios are subject to a 10% reduction in the portfolio grade for each day that they are missing.

That said, I understand that emergencies happen. Please reach out to me well before (not 10 minutes before!) an assignment is due if a personal emergency will prevent you from turning in an assignment on time, and we can talk about a one-time 24-hour extension.

Missing class- If you miss class, assignments for that day are still due. Check in with a classmate about what you missed in class, and check the course calendar to see what is due on the day that you return to class.

It is important that you are in class for peer review days (TBA). If you miss these days, I highly recommend going to the Atrium Learning Center to work on your paper with a tutor.

Withdrawing from/dropping the course- I want to have you in class all semester, but if you feel that you need to withdraw, please come speak to me. Keep in mind that you have to drop/withdraw officially through CUNYFirst and that there are dates on the academic calendar that indicate the periods in which you can drop and withdraw.

Email- Please reach out via your City Tech email with any course-related concerns, and I’ll get back to you within 1 business day.

Accessibility Statement: City Tech is committed to supporting the educational goals of enrolled students with disabilities in the areas of enrollment, academic advisement, tutoring, assistive technologies and testing accommodations. If you have or think you may have a disability, you may be eligible for reasonable accommodations or academic adjustments as provided under applicable federal, state and city laws. You may also request services for temporary conditions or medical issues under certain circumstances. If you have questions about your eligibility or would like to seek accommodation services or academic adjustments, please contact the Center for Student Accessibility at 300 Jay Street room L-237, 718 260 5143 or http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/accessibility/.

College Policy on Academic Integrity:  “Students who work with information, ideas, and texts owe their audience and sources accuracy and honesty in using, crediting, and citing sources. As a community of intellectual and professional workers, the College recognizes its responsibility for providing instruction in information literacy and academic integrity, offering models of good practice, and responding vigilantly and appropriately to infractions of academic integrity. Accordingly, academic dishonesty is prohibited in CUNY and at New York City College of Technology, and is punishable by penalties, including failing grades, suspension, and expulsion. The complete text of the College policy on Academic Integrity may be found in the catalog.”

What does that mean? Turn in your own work and ideas! When you use someone else’s ideas, cite them properly. Don’t turn in plagiarized work, as it can have serious consequences.

We will talk about proper citation in class, and if you have any doubts related to academic integrity, please reach out to me.

Campus Resources: Please note these can be accessed virtually during fall 2020.

Atrium Learning Center- Access free writing guides online, and visit a tutor in-person to work on your writing.

Phone: 718-260-5874

Location: 300 Jay St LG-18

Website: https://www.citytech.cuny.edu/alc/

Required Materials

Readings- This is a textbook-free course. I will upload all of your readings to blackboard as PDFs. Please print your readings and bring a physical, annotated copy to class on the day that the reading is due.

Supplies- Please bring a dedicated notebook for journaling and in-class writing.

Grades

My grades are due to the Registrar approximately 48 hours after the completion of the course’s scheduled final exam.  No work that is submitted after the end of the course (the scheduled final exam) will be considered in the final grade, except in the (very rare) case a student has received an Incomplete grade.

Incomplete grades can only be assigned if arrangements are made before the end of the semester, and require departmental approval; incomplete grades are reserved for very specific extenuating circumstances.

Confidentiality

Assignments and/or discussions in this class MAY awaken some feelings or memories of hardship.  It is recommended that you address such issues with a licensed mental health counselor located in the Counseling Office. If you share such hardships (e.g., via essays, email exchange, online networks, class discussion) during this course, your professor may consult, and/or share your personal information, with a licensed mental health counselor to address your hardship. The Counseling Office is in Namm 108.

Office Hours and Extra Help

Students who know they have trouble with any reading or writing assignment should come in as soon as possible. I hope to meet with each of you at least once during the semester, and final projects require individual meetings to discuss your work and ideas.  We can set up a time for a virtual meeting and I check my email daily, so feel free to reach out if you have any questions about an assignment or a lesson.

(Virtual) The Atrium Learning Center: I encourage all students to take advantage of the writing tutors at the Learning Center. This is an excellent recourse for writers of all abilities. ATRIUM LEARNING CENTER: Atrium Building G-18, Director: Judith Rockway, Phone: 718-260-5874. jrockway@citytech.cuny.edu

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT REGARDING PLAGIARISM IS REQUIRED IN ALL COURSE SYLLABI AT CITY TECH:

Students and all others who work with information, ideas, texts, images, music, inventions, and other intellectual property owe their audience and sources accuracy and honesty in using, crediting, and citing sources. As a community of intellectual and professional workers, the College recognizes its responsibility for providing instruction in information literacy and academic integrity, offering models of good practice, and responding vigilantly and appropriately to infractions of academic integrity. Accordingly, academic dishonesty is prohibited at New York City College of Technology and is punishable by penalties, including failing grades, suspension, and expulsion.

CLASS SCHEDULE

Dates and assignments are subject to change

Unit I: Literacy Narrative

8/28        Class introduction and review of syllabus. Writing Response #1: Read Sandra Cisneros’ “Only Daughter” Write 150 word observation.

9/1          Discussion “Only Daughter.” Writing Response #2: Read Amy Tan’s “Mother Tongue” Write a 150 word observation.

9/4          Discussion on “Mother Tongue.” Writing Response #3: Read “Learning to Read” by Malcolm X. Write 150 word observation. Paper #1 Assignment sheet handed out.

9/8          Discussion on “Learning to Read.” Writing Response #4: Read James  Baldwin “If Black English Isn’t a Language, Then Tell Me, What Is?” Write 150 word observation. 

9/11        Discussion on “If Black English Isn’t a Language, Then Tell Me, What is?” Read article, Anne Lamott’s “Sh**ty First Drafts.” Write your paper!  Lab: Proposals

9/15        First Draft Workshop. Lab: Peer Review Process

Unit II: Current Issues in New York

9/22        Essay # 1 due. Watch documentary: My Brooklyn. Lab: Film discussion. Writing  Response #5: Read Kerry Dirk, “Navigating Genres” Answer Question #1

9/25        Discussion on “Navigating Genre.”  Response #6: Read Jessica Guerra “The Williamsburg Renaissance.” Write 150 word observation.

10/2        Discussion on “The Williamsburg Renaissance.” Lab: Brainstorming Assignment sheet #2 handed out.Assignment: Bring in a magazine or newspaper article about a topic you care about.

10/6        Discussion on magazine or newspaper article about a topic you care about. Writing   Response # 7: Write 300 words addressing how you went about researching the topic and why you chose this article. Do not upload to Blackboard. Print this observation and bring it to class.

10/9        Library Visit! Lab: Discussion on library visit and conducting research.  Writing Response #8: Read Colson Whitehead, “The Colossus of New York.” Write a 150 word observation.

10/12      Discussion on article handed out in class. Writing Response #9: Read “Richard Straub, “Responding-Really Responding-to Other Students’ work.” Write a 150 word observation.

10/16      Discussion on “Richard Straub, “Responding-Really Responding-to Other Students’   work” Lab: Reviewing Proposals

10/19      Write your first draft!

10/23        First Draft Workshop

Unit III: Final Project

10/27      Midterm Meetings Paper # 2 Due. Writing Response #10: Read Bronwyn T. Williams “Popular Culture is Killing Writing.” Write 150 word observation.

10/30      Discussion on Final Project and on “Popular Culture is Killing Writing.” Writing Response #11: Read Donald Murray, “Internal Revision.” Answer discussion question #1. Lab: Revision

11/3        Discussion on “Internal Revision.” Writing Response # 12: Bring in Mentor Text.  Write a 150 words explaining why you chose it. Print out and bring to class! Do not upload to Blackboard.

11/6        Presentations of Mentor Texts. Lab: First Steps in Final Project

11/10      Discussion on articles handed out in class. Writing Response # 13: Read Mike Rose “Writer’s Block” Write a 150 word observation.

11/13        Discussion on Writer’s Block. Lab: Grammar

11/17     Presenting your proposal

11/20     Developing ideas. Lab: Outlines

11/24      First Draft Workshop

12/1        In-Class presentations Lab: Revising

**During these final two weeks, I will hold mini-conferences during class to discuss papers and grades**

12/4        In-class revision workshop: Bring your writing for portfolio Lab: Discussion on author statements

12/8        In-class proofreading workshop: Bring your most updated version of all your writing

12/15      Submit your completed portfolio today Lab: Portfolio Review

12/18      Final Class