Units 2& 3-Patrick Redmond

English 1101

Unit 2 & 3 Projects

UNIT 2: Rhetorical Analysis Project

In Unit 2 you will investigate and report on a research question you choose. You will conduct research into at least four different genres, gather, and evaluate the information in those sources, and present a report on your findings. This report will be based on your investigating, analysis, and thinking of your sources, and what you have learned from your investigation.

Assignments and Due Dates (you will receive additional assignment sheets that explain each step more thoroughly when the due dates come closer)

1. Your Proposal with a research question Due Wed – 10/09 (10 Points): This will outline your intent for the project and the research question you will be investigating. Remember, this should be something you are interested in, since you’ll be continuing with this topic during Unit 3 as well.
  2.  Initial Annotated Bibliography Due Mon – 10/16. (40 points): gather information on, and analyze four sources consisting of at least three different genres. I will have a hand out that shows the exact format I would like for you to follow, but essentially you will be summarizing the sources and evaluating their credibility.
  3. Reflective analysis of each source Due Mon – 10/21. (50 points): After you have made your first annotated bibliography, I then want you to investigate those sources by means of rhetorical analysis with your research question in mind. Essentially, I want you to think about the reasoning behind the author’s choices they made when writing, and who they were writing for. You will also compare and contrast your analyses of sources to examine how the issue is discussed in a variety of genres.

Your analysis of each source must be at least 200 words. You must analyze not only what the source says, but how and why it says it.

1. Rough draft of your report Due Mon – 10/28. (50 points rough draft + 10 points for peer review): Include a Works Cited page of your sources. Bring two (2) copies of your rough draft to class to participate in the peer writing-workshop
  2. 1500-word Final Draft with a Works Cited page Due Mon 11/04. (100 points.)
  3. Reflection Paper Due Wed. 11/06 (25 points).: After the final draft you will write a reflection paper that will discuss what you have learned during the process.

Grading:

As always, I will be grading by using the rubric I provided on the first day of class on the syllabus, and how well you follow the directions of each assignment. Please ask me if you need any clarification.

UNIT 3: Writing in a New Genre

In Unit 3, you will be re-purposing your research from Unit 2 to create a new composition, in a new genre. You might want to write a magazine article (with a specific audience in mind), a comic, a children’s book, short story, a video essay, a podcast etc. You may also create a multimedia piece with a written section if you want to do that instead.

This is to say, the assignment is left largely open. You can choose whatever rhetorical vehicle you want, as long as you are re-purposing your research from Unit 2, and that you are conscious of your rhetorical situation and the audience that you are communicating to. (For example: You cannot simply write an “article.” If you choose that route, then you will have to have a specific publication in mind and write towards that audience.)

1. Proposal Due. Wed -11/13. (10 points): The proposal will be a write up about what genre you are composing in and why do you think that genre will be effective in communicating your Unit 2 research to a specific audience. Essentially you will write: What do you want to say? Why is your topic important to you and to the community at large? Why is the genre you chose best suited to communicating your message?
  2. Outline Due Wed. – 11/20. (40 points): Once you’ve narrowed your focus/have chosen your genre, you will provide me with an outline your project showing how it will communicate the central argument.
  3.  Rough draft Due: Mon – 12/02. (50 points for the rough draft & 10 points for the peer review): Bring two copies of your rough draft to class to participate in the peer writing-workshop.
  4. Final draft. Due: Mon – 12/09 (100 points)
  5. Reflection Due: Wed – 12/11. (50 points): You will write a reflection on your project after you completed it. I will give you more specific questions at the time that this is assigned but your papers should be at least 500 words.

Grading:

You will be graded in accordance with the rubric I provided the first day of class, but since this is a more specialized assignment, I will be paying extra attention to the following:

1. Genre Awareness. Your project must show that you have a handle on the genre you are working in. This means that you must be conscious of what rules the genre has, and you will have shown that you can implement them.
  2. Audience Awareness. As I have stated numerous times (and will no doubt state it numerous more times in class) Your project must have a clear audience, and your project must be conscious of that audience. You will be graded on how well you do this.

1 thought on “Units 2& 3-Patrick Redmond

1. Carrie Hall

Patrick, this looks good! I think you might have some clarifying to do for students about what, exactly, this is going to look like, but I see that you don’t want to have this all in the assignment sheet (I usually try to keep my assignment sheets short and my annotated bib sheet is like 6 pages long– it’s ridiculous.) I am usually a “go with the flow” kind of teacher, but here, I really think that giving students some worksheets is very helpful, as the annotated bib, especially with rhetorical awareness, is not something they’ve seen before. Ruth and Jessica have broken theirs down quite nicely, though I do really like how you’ve split yours into the “regular” annotated bib and then the reflective portion as a second section of the assignment. I suspect one week is not enough time for the regular portion, however.

For Unit 3, make sure you clarify the rhetorical situation for the student– or rather, get the student to think about rhetorical situation. That is, Ask them, “what is the most important thing you learned in your research (Purpose) Who needs to hear that thing (Audience) and what is the best genre to deliver that message (Genre)?

Nice work!