6th PD Seminar Agenda & Homework for 7th Meeting

Reflections

Thanks everyone for another productive meeting yesterday! I have grown very fond of our group! Please post reflections on yesterday’s meeting in the comments section to this post.

Next Meeting

Please write a new post where you sketch out how you might approach teaching a Rhetorical Genre Analysis unit and the third project, the Genre Project or the Multigenre project. We’ll discuss these when we reconvene. Use the links below for help.

Agenda

1. Discuss information sessions / email to part-timers
  2. Montclair State visit May 3 or 6
  3. Textbooks/OER
  4. Potential list of faculty.
  5. What’s on your mind. Round Robin.
  6. Discussion
  7. If we begin with comp 1 as having three major project, the Lit Narrative, the Rhetorical Genre Analysis, and the Genre Project or the multi genre project.

RGA Sample Assignments

1. Genre and Music
  2. Discipline Specific RGA

Multigenre Project/Genre project Samples

1. Multigenre Template
  2. Multigenre Research Project overview

Sample Student Products

1. Prezi RGA

2 thoughts on “6th PD Seminar Agenda & Homework for 7th Meeting

1. SSchmerler

Yes, we are all growing fond of you/each other, too.
    Okay, my synopsis — something I should have written closer to the time of the actual experience, but, here goes:
    The fresh-blood 1101 PD folks are pretty much listed. Some discussion of how the formal call for participants will be worded. (Post Script: It came out this week and was awesome!!!)
    A few cohort members plan to do the OER training later this spring. That will bode well in general, but we also float the idea of having the PD’s required website project encompass some kind of resource/clearing house for the new 1101/1121 resources. We didn’t push this point, but I wanted to mention it before I forget it. The idea of having students simply pay $20 and go to Remsen Graphics is also floated.
    We each talked with little or no interruption during share time. Progress! Efficiency! (We do continue to talk on top of each other’s words, loudly, at all other times. Status quo there.) Ideas floated include: not calling a paper “The” paper, ever. “The Research Paper,” et al, doesn’t exist. Normalize everyone’s thinking on that by refusing to name it. We all like “They Say/I Say” best of the normal textbooks. (We also look at a couple more textbooks / a nifty graphic textbook — thanks, Jackie!.) Someone brings up the Bedford Book of Genres. Aaron shares that his “stepping in” strategy isn’t working as planned. I feel inspired by that. We all discuss our ostensive “failures” and are heartened by them — not in a schadenfreude kind of way, but more in absolute empathy. We continue to discuss student “apathy” and couch it as more of an appearance of apathy. Carrie points out that students roll their eyes for many different reasons and have physical affects that we may just be misreading in general. I take heart. We all take heart. The Keurig machine gets a workout.

We see some examples of Multi-Genre Projects that are cool or at least inspiring.

We discuss the trip to Montclair.

We get our assignments for next session. +++++

2. Kim

Hey Everyone,

Apologies for the late reflection! It was a real pleasure to everyone last time, and I was struck again, as I have been often lately, by how interesting and polarizing it is to talk about readings, and especially TEXTBOOKS! I realize how attached I grow to texts that garner especially fruitful discussions in class. So I have zero answers, but lots of questions, about whether OERs, printed course texts, some kind of awesome Writing about Writing or multimodal-focused textbook, or some other option (none of the above??) is the best way to go.

Thinking about this more and more, but hoping to get involved in the OER Fellowship this June and learn more about creating our own OERs for this course and program. More soon on the great reading question!