Homework and Schedule

Hi Everyone,

At the top of this page, click on the link called “Orientation Readings for Faculty.” There are nine essays/articles for you to read before we get started on Thursday. They are grouped according to the units that we will be teaching. I tried to choose what I consider to be essential readings for each unit, and I tried to limit them to one per unit, with the exception of the Genre unit, as it’s a little more robust and complicated.

Here’s your homework assignment:

I’m asking that you write a unique blog post for each reading rather than putting them all in a single blog post. The reason for this has to do with how to use the Open Lab to manage submissions from students–we’re going to use your blog post entries to simulate a class, and I’m going to show you how to get things organized on the first day.

So for each article, I’d like you to write a new blog post. You should have nine in total when you are done. Title each post whatever you want but do me a favor and make sure to include the author’s name in the title so we can track them. Also, please use the category feature to tag the post to the appropriate author. I have created a category for each author.

For each post, choose a section of text that you found interesting/worthy of remembering and sharing. Go ahead and quote the passage you found important and then write a response to that passage below your quote. Make sure to set your quote apart so that it is easy to see the difference between the quote and your response. Consider using the “blockquote” feature in the editor to set your quote apart. All nine posts are due by our first meeting on Thursday, the 17th. I’ll be doing these with you as well.

Here’s a rough schedule of the two-day orientation

Thursday 9-12 Meeting Location: Library Computer Lab L540

9:00-10-15   OpenLab Website Creation/Discussion

10-30-12:00  Discussion of Genre, Rhetorical Situation, and Discourse Community (Bitzer, Miller, Devitt, Graff)

Thursday 1-4 Meeting Location: N227

1:00-2:15 Discussion of Literacy Narrative and Final Portfolios (Taczak & Robertson and Neal)

2:30-4:00  Discussion of Reseach/Argument (Kynard and Dirk)

Friday 9-12 Meeting Location: Library Computer Lab L540

9:00-10:30: Multimodal Texts (Shipka)

10:45-12:00 Open Discussion

I’ll be updating you with more information as I have it. If you have any questions, feel free to leave comments below.

Robert

2 thoughts on “Homework and Schedule