Tips for Teaching Online, and Slide Shows!

Hi everyone– HERE is the article I sent out with tips for teaching online.  Next week, our own Jackie Blain will guest blog with some more handy ideas about online teaching and student engagement.  We’re lucky to have her.

I don’t know about you all, but I’m a real chalkboard teacher.  I write EVERYTHING down, so being online is a bit awkward for me.  One of the things that has helped me a lot is using Canva to make slideshows (you can also use other programs like Google Slides or Power Point.) I happen to find making slideshows kind of fun, but I know it can be quite time consuming, so here are three I made  that you may find useful:

1. What is Research? This slideshow talks about credible sources and primary and secondary sources.  Just gets students thinking about what “counts” as research.
  2. Thinking about Genre. This slideshow is pretty particular to Unit Two of the 1101 model courses (all of the model courses) but can be used to discuss Genre Awareness across the board.
  3. What’s a Paragraph? This slideshow talks about PIE (point information explanation) paragraphing, as a way to get students to look at organization, evidence and analysis.

Feel free to use any of these in your classes with attribution! Also, Canva is free, but as with most of these programs, you do get more features if you pay.

Also– we are looking for “guest bloggers!”  If you have some ideas of teaching tips pertinent to 2020 you can write about (or make a video about, etc) for the blog, that would be great– or things you’d like to see!  We’d love to hear from you.