About Me

It is with extravagant pleasure that I introduce you a witty, fair, fun, out-going yet timid at times, sociable, informative, talkative and full of life let’s welcome Me, Faith Robertson. Currently, a student at New York City Technical College majoring in Human Service with a minor Africana Studies due to graduate in Spring ’15.  The population in which I would like to concentrate on would be the ex-inmates reentering society. My interest on this field primarily is due to the lack of rehabilitative counseling that the inmates currently do not and have not received while being incarcerated. Upon reentering into the general population ex-inmates rarely receive adequate services that will propel them to become productive citizens such as adequate counseling, employment services, housing, educational or parental services when reentering the community. I continue to see firsthand and experience a lack of services these males receive because sometimes I am the first individual they meet when they leave the correctional institutions. One of the greatest logic for myself to work alongside these men is because society on a whole is seems to be working against them. Statistics show that 1 in 12 black males end up in prison and within the next 10 years it will be 1 in 3 black males, that is 6% population, which will account for 1/3 of the prison population. Center for Justice and Accountability.

One of my hobbies for years has been making jewelry, it started as a class and then became a form of art and relaxation, allowing me to demonstrate my emotions and artistry on a person’s body is aesthetic. Also, another personal interest of mine  is to become more familiar with the Spanish language which will be marketable for myself for future employment. A few weeks ago there were special classes being offered by American Sign Language for summer sessions which I will be taking advantage of. So, when I return to graduate school Spanish and Sign Language will be two new skills gained towards my professional development

S