Monday, March 2nd – Homework

Read “Third World Driving Hints and Tips” on pages 133-137 in The River Reader.

As a comment on this post, answer these questions before class on Wednesday:

What do you think the purpose of this essay is?
Who is the intended audience for this essay?
How do you think an unintended audience (for instance, the “natives” mentioned in the essay) would feel reading this author’s description of driving behavior in their country?

NOTE: Descriptive essay due on Monday.

16 responses to “Monday, March 2nd – Homework

1. The purpose of this passage is to give readers an insight of what driving was like in Third World locations. The tips he gives aren’t really helpful and seem more sarcastic and entertaining than actually helping the reader. The intended audience are Americans who are driving in those specific locations he is talking about. The unintended audience might take offense to what he is saying because he makes it seem like the natives have no reason to be on the road. The natives only cause death and destruction on the road, So they aren’t portrayed in the most positive way.

2. 1. I think the purpose of this essay is to inform people of what driving is like outside in the Third World.
    2. The intended audience is people who travel to other places and would like to drive there. People who drive can get a feel of what its like to drive there by reading this before traveling.
    3. I think the unintended audience would feel offended by what the author is saying because the author is describing how bad they feel it is to drive in these third world places. The author doesn’t feel like the people have a reason to be on the road and talks down on them.

3. The purpose of the story “THIRD WORLD DRIVING TIPS & HINTS” is to inform us how the third world countries people drive & I think the intend audience of this story are who want to drive in third world country. The writer want to let them know what kind of problems they would face when they want to drive in those country with lots of entertainment. I think the unintended audience would not take it easily as the writer told their problems in a criticize way.

4. I think the purpose of this essay is to inform readers what driving is like in a third world country.
    The intended audience for this essay are people that will going or are driving in third world countries.
    I think the unintended audience, which are the natives that live in third world countries, would feel insulted after reading the author’s description of driving behavior in their country.

5. 1.What do you think the purpose of this essay is? the purpose of this story is to let us know how driving is in a third world country
    Who is the intended audience for this essay? i think the intended audience is people who wants to drive in third world country.
    How do you think an unintended audience (for instance, the “natives” mentioned in the essay) would feel reading this author’s description of driving behavior in their country? i think that they’ll feel like the author insulted them because he stated how driving was in third world countries and he just wants to let people know how its like

6. 1. The purpose of the essay is ti give tips on how natives drive in a third world country .
    2. The intended audience for this essay is for people who are going to driving in the third world country.
    3. I think the unintended audience are the “natives ” would be very offended as much as I am. Why ?. The author’s description of driving behavior in third world country is WRONG . Driving in a third world country is much different than the way how the author describes it.

7. 1. The purpose of the essay is to give readers information on driving in a third world country.
    2. The intened audience for the essay are people who will or wants to drive in a third world country.
    3. I think that the unintended audience might feel offended because the author explains driving in a third world country based of off his/her own experience. The natives of the third world country might feel otherwise.

8. The purpose of this essay is to teach readers important tips about how to drive in the third world. I am assuming that the audience is people that do not live in the third world and do not know how to drive in that place. The people that are not part of the audience might be offended because the author in this essay is making jokes about the way they drive. these people are the natives.

9. 1) I feel the purpose of the essay is to give readers information on driving in a third world country.
    2) The intended audience for this essay is people who will or who want to drive in a third world country.
    3) I think that the unintended audience might feel offended because the author explains driving in a third world country based off his opinion. The natives of the third world country may feel a different way

10. The purpose of this story ” Third World Driving Hints and Tips” by P.J O’ Rourke,is to inform people about what driving is really like in the third world. He uses examples and tips in a very sarcastic way. I believe that people who would read this story would not take it lightly because of the humor he provides.

11. 1. I think the purpose of this story is to inform us about driving and the details of driving in the third world.
    2.The intended audiences are the people who can drive and understands the feeling of driving which would make it easier for them to visualize the places that are mentioned.
    3. As for the unintended audiences who read this would be upset about the author because the author is telling the story through his own experiences which is not facts about this certain thing that others might have their opinion to.

12. What do you think the purpose of this essay is?
    I think that the real purpose of the essay is not really to inform us about driving in the Third World countries. It’s more about the entertainment. The author also shows us huge differences between our First World civilization and them.
    Definitely American readers.
    The author clearly doesn’t care what the natives would think of this essay. He is very ignorant. They might be offended, but from the other side, they might laugh at his lack of survival/driving skills and his First World problems in their countries.

13. The way I saw it, the purpose of this essay was to entertain readers while simultaneously poking fun at first world (especially American) attitudes towards third world countries.
    The intended audience is for American readers, but it could also apply to those living in other first world nations such as Britain and France with similar mindsets.
    The unintended audience would most likely be offended, because the satire isn’t as obvious at first. They might also scoff and state that O’Rourke is the typical ignorant American, without realizing that they’re also guilty of the same crime of seeing only the surface of this essay.

14. 1. I think the purpose of the essay is ti give tips on how natives drive in a third world country .
    3) I think that the unintended audience might be offended because the author explains driving in a third world country based off his opinion. So people from third world country don’t feel the same way. Because they grow up on these things.

15. The purpose of this Essay ,is to inform people about what driving is really like in the third world. In a sarcastic way he gave examples and tips. Because the way the story told with such humor I think the readers would read it without a problem

16. The purpose of this essay, technically, would be to inform the American people on what to expect and driving advice in other countries. However, as we continue to read the piece, we see the writer focuses more on entertaining the reader, with his exaggerated comments and “advice”. In addition, he makes fun of a lot of a lot of things that typically happen in those third world countries. One being how the soldier enforce the law, and if they would like they can kill you. I assume with all things he says about the other places, the unintended audience would get offended.