Unit 1: Chapter 1 Homework

After reading Unit 1: Chapter 1 of Urban Reader for College Writers, answer the following question as a comment on this post:

Do you support the call for more civics in the classroom?

If yes, how do you propose we add it to the curriculum, keeping in mind the important classes students are already taking and the eight-hour school day?

If no, why not? Why not? What suggestions do you have to maintain a civics-educated population without school instruction? How do you suggest educating our population about civics without classroom instruction? Explain.

Be as detailed and as opinionated as you like. You may speak about a personal experience, or just discuss the idea in general.

You must post a comment answering this question by noon on Sunday, September 11th, and you must reply* to at least one post by a classmate before class on Tuesday. You may feel free to post as many times and as much as you like beyond the minimum requirement. Have fun with it!

*Note: Replies must be well thought out and complete sentences. Saying ā€œI agreeā€ is not enough. With what do you agree (or respectfully disagree)? Why? Do you have suggestions, additions? Be thorough.

Note: Don’t forget your vocabulary log, which will be due at the end of the unit.

39 responses to “Unit 1: Chapter 1 Homework

1. Yes we should add it to the class curriculum because it is important for students to know about the rights and duties of citizenship.So class should keep that in mind, we can study it by reading it in class.By studying civics students can know what rights they have and duties they have as a citizen,even though students are busy they can make time to study about the rules and duties of their nation.

• I agree with you about adding civics as class will help student understanding duties of Citizen. Readying not just the only way, I also can add one more thing about how we can keep civics in our life. Parents and TV, Programs must play a big part of civics in order to keep youth in connect to civics Subject.

• Yes, I agree with you. Civic class should be added to the classroom in order for students to learn their duties.

• There are lots of courses that are related to civics in junior school and high school: global history, U.S. history, government and politics, sociology, economics and some schools offer elective for civics. Relatively speaking, since all those courses are related to civics, so students are always in touch with civics subject through out their youth.

• That is a good point, Drake. It is very important for citizens to know their rights. This way, citizens can protect themselves from others who wish to infringe on their rights and also vote more knowledgeably.

2. in my point of view,yes we should add it to the class curriculum even though student know few rights and duties of citizenship its really important to keep it in our mind and learn how to manage them, in this way students will make time to study and lear more about their nation

• Yes Cesar i agree with you because students don’t the rights and duties they have in their country , so it is important for them to know.

• Cesar , I do agree with your comment. Because The Civics Education help us to know basic civics about how our government works, and who we are as a nation. In addition the most important as an immigrant we all have to take United States Citizenship test,and without civic knowledge, we will not able become citizens. Finally, I hardly propose to add civic in the classroom curriculum.

• I also agree that learning about our nation is an important and necessary thing to spend time on, especially at a young age.

3. Yes, I do , because students will learn about their country and Government system too. They will learn to be faithful to their nation and country.
    Students need civics classes in order to know what they will give to their country and nation , also they will learn what Government and country should give them. In my country ,Yemen civics is a class curriculum ,however it is a poor country and many Public services are not good there. We still have to know what everyone should know about home and giving love to their nation. It is like tree you grew it up little by little . Students and Society will strongly support Civics’s classes during school hours if they discover the benefits of it. . The Government can make it as main subject in school as Math , and chemical. I think people will understand more about their rights as Citizens and they will learn to give their country the best from everything they got.

4. Yes, we should add it to the curriculum in order to instill civic knowledge to young people. Civic knowledge is useful, it can help young people understand about current events, policy change, their citizen right and ability. I think that learn more civic knowledge is good for me because I am an immigrant, civic knowledge help me understand more about the United States, it may also help me become a citizen. Even though eight-hour school day, students can read news after school in order to know what happen about civics in the nation.

• I do agree with your viewpoint. Students should be conspicuous about their society and public. Also, since your status is immigrant, and if you switch to as citizen, you will have different perspective which is useful for you. Anyway, civic class is one way to know about the public and your reality clearly.

• I agreed with your point of view, because i also think student will confront to their reality one day, so they must to know what the rules of society. Students are take civic classes in schools, it can make students to understand what is their responsibilities,or it can help students improve knowledge of civics. I also agree If students take civic class earlier, and partake municipal association and work it enthusiastically and be interested it, the quality of its civics will increasingly growing, because it is real, if you do it,I believe that your life will be better in the future.

• I’m very agree of your point. As you said by study civic can help immigrant student to understand how United States government work and adapt in this new society. Also, the news advice is useful to most of the class students, we should read more news, to improve our reading skill and increase our civic knowledge.

• I agree that civic knowledge can help people become better citizens. I think keeping up with current events is incredibly important, but I also worry about the biased nature of so many news sources and the misleading nature of so many other resources that represent themselves as news when they’re really just opinions. How will young students know what is real and unbiased?

5. I think it has much more positive effect than negative. Every people is not obligatory, but it’s necessary to be aware of their public and community, especially, students. In my viewpoint, if students aren’t take civic classes in schools earlier, that’s anachronistic because student will confront to their reality one day, and experience and knowledge of civics could be rigid supporter to maintain their life better. Apart from student’s own life, they have strong force to develop their country, city, and community which civics has strong impact of them. If students take civic class earlier, and partake municipal association and work it enthusiastically and be interested it, the quality of its civics will increasingly growing.

• im totally agree with you Jingxun Yin we all should be part of this even though many students and people dont really mind about it, we need to put more effort on practice civics so we can become more strong mentally and become better as a person besides will change many minds for the next generation.

• Yes, we should add it to the curriculum in order to instill civic knowledge to young people. Civic knowledge is useful, it can help young people understand about current events, policy change, their citizen right and ability. I think that learn more civic knowledge is good for me because I am an immigrant, civic knowledge help me understand more about the United States, it may also help me become a citizen. Even though eight-hour school day, students can read news after school in order to know what happen about civics in the nation.

• I agree that the power of the people is massive, and an educated populace can make huge changes in local and even national levels. Now we just need to make sure everyone is educated enough to enact these changes!

6. Yes,I support the call for more civics in the classroom,because i think everyone should understand their own country. So,take civics class is so important for students. In the civics class, students can learn what is their responsibility or right in the society, what is the vote, or what is right when they do. This class allows students to better understand the rules of society. It can make students advance to adapt to society, and It can reduce the students do something wrong while touching the law. Of course, i know there are many benefits for people, such as civics class helped solve a community problem; they are registered to vote; they can make a difference in their community,etc. So, I propose school should to increase civics class for students, which will make students better to success in the future.

• You’re so right that civics classes can help solve community problems. So often we encounter an issue and just have no idea how to deal with it or whom to turn to. Civics classes could possibly remedy that confusion and encourage more people to take action.

7. Yes we should add it to the class curriculum because it is important for students to know what the government was doing and how the government works. I think school need to keep the civics course in school and also let students know how important civics to our society. Students can learn what is their right in their nation.Lack of civic knowledge can be a long term threat. People can vote a right person base on their information on civics.

8. That is very impotent to let people know about civics, because people need civics to understand their responsibility and ability as a citizen. The bast way to let people know and understand civics is to add it in the school education system and treat that as impotent as Math and English. Because that will let student know how the government and society work, also it will help student as soon as possible to adapt the society after they graduate for school.

9. I think we should add civics to the classroom curriculum because it is important to know the rights and duties of citizenship. As an immigrant, most people donā€™t have any knowledge about the country. People donā€™t know about history and donā€™t know how our government works, and who we are as a nation. I think we can add civics to our History class or English class as a part of the lesson so it will ensure all students to learn basic civics about how our government works. Finally, adding civics as part of English or History lesson it will help to maintain eight-hour school day without adding any extra hour class.

10. Yes we should add civics as an extra curriculum to the class. its a way to know what’s goin on in the world and in the country. As a permanent resident of the country people should know what they are responsible for what they should do,and should not do. I agree with you as many students are already having eight hours classes everyday. may be we should not do the civic classes every day instead once a week. That way everything will be fair enough for everyone to learn whats going on in the country.

11. Yes, I think we should add it to the class curriculum because it is important for students to know about the rights as a citizenship. Studying civics, students can know what rights they have.

12. I think adding civics to the students schedule is a really good idea. It will give the immigrants the knowledge of whats going on in america. It will show them what is right and wrong in this country and how to blend in with our society instead of feeling left out. It will teach them a lot on how to be apart of our country.

13. I support the idea of civics in classroom because it’s nesscery for students or young kids to understand how the government works. Since people live in this country, government’s decisions on the laws or anything can affect both citizens and immigrants. Futhermore, young kids are the leaders of new generation and workforce, so they should know what happens in the country and around the world. Hence, it’s important to have civics in classroom for young generation to know their rights as a citizen or immigrant. However, I personally not a political person, but I think it’s ok to have some civics in classroom, as long as it don’t add up the class hour. So, it should mix with other classes: world history, U.S. History, government and politics .

14. Yes, I think we should add it to the class curriculum because it is important for students to know about the government and how to become a good citizen. Alsoļ¼Œthe civic and citizenship education can make students understand the duties and rights of citizens.

• I agree because it is really important to know about the government and learning to be a good citizen. This class will teach the people that don’t know anything about the government and what needs to be done to be a good citizen.

15. i definitely agree that we should add civics in class curriculum,but I would suggest that most of the credits and score for that subject will be gathered by participating in the class not just study it to pass the exam . I think that will be a good way to attract most of the students to learn more about civics and it`s very important to learn about civics that`s the way to ensure that a pro_worker progressive movement is in our future.

16. We should definitely add curriculum to class because it is important to student learn the right and to know of the duties as citizenship in their nation. For those who don’t know about will learn a lot of it while learning the English in class too. Which is a plus sign if for those who are intranste can join in force to build better too!