Thursday, September 24th – Homework

Homework:

After reading Unit 1: Chapter 4 of Urban Reader for College Writers, answer both of the following questions as a comment on this post:

What is your reaction to neighborhood residents having decision-making power when it comes to traffic, noise, or business in their communities? What if not everyone in the community agrees?

and

What suggestions would you make to improve your neighborhood? Why would you change these things if you could?

Be as detailed and as opinionated as you like. You may speak about a personal experience, or just discuss the idea in general.

You must post a comment answering this question before class on Monday. You may feel free to post as many times and as much as you like beyond the minimum requirement. Remember, this counts as class participation and a homework grade. Have fun with it!

*Note: Replies must be well thought out and complete sentences. Saying “I agree” is not enough. With what do you agree (or respectfully disagree)? Why? Do you have suggestions, additions? Be thorough.

Your vocabulary homework is also due on Monday. Choose 5 words from the Zoom in on Vocabulary section at the end of this chapter and follow the guide in the documents section of the blog.

Dont forget your rewritten CATW essay on “Decline and Fall of Teaching History” is also due on Monday. 

The CATW writing directions are in the document section of the blog if you need to reference them. They are also on various worksheets you’ve been given.

****Note********Note********Note********Note********

Only if you did not turn in your essay on time, you have additional homework. For those people who did not turn their paper in on time, read Unit 1/Ch 2 of your book and answer the Main Idea section, 1-3 and the Discuss This section 1-6. If you complete this and make a clear effort then you will not be penalized for having a late paper. Get your paper to me by Monday.

If you turned in your essay on time then this does not apply to you!

19 responses to “Thursday, September 24th – Homework

1. I believe that neighborhood residents should not make decisions about traffic because streets are for public transit, however, when it comes to business and noise they should have the right to create rules for the welfare of all. One thing that I would suggest to improve my neighborhood is creating a semi-annual reunion where you could get the chance to meet with your old neighbors and welcome the new ones. Why am I suggesting this? Because it is a good way to know the people that surround you and keep in touch with them.

2. It depends on the situation when and where but mostly like neighborhood residents should create rules for business. A suggestion that can improve residential is do meet up or annual reunion some sort that can help the neighborhood and people who lives there. Also the more people get to have reunion or to hang out with one another is to learn more about them and about the residential area itself. Another suggestion is that we can diverse neighborhood and meeting alto more people with different cultures so therefore we can pick what’s best for the neighborhood.

3. I think when is something relationated with traffic the neighborhoods should not make any type of decision, because that’s why exist the police, but when is something with business or noise the neighborhoods should create a rules about it.I think that a suggestion is that all the people on my neighborhood meets once a year because that way I can know the people that lives around me, because when you talk with somebody is when you more know about socialization

4. I feel like neighborhoods should have limited power, when it comes to traffic and noise they shouldn’t have the power do anything. but when it comes to business i feel like it could be beneficial for everybody. one suggestion is that everyone in the neighborhoods should have a meeting every month to vote on what they want and what they don’t want in their neighborhoods. these meetings will also let the people talk on what they want to do . another suggestion is that they could plan activities on what they want to do.

5. i think the neighborhood residents should have the power when it comes to traffic .noise and business because i think there decisions are beneficial to the neighborhood and they know well what is good for a community . One suggestion is that they all should meet once a month and discuss about the issues and how to resolve them. And i think they should also have some kinda activities every month like fairs or some games to get everyone together

6. My reaction on neighborhood residents having decision making power is actually a good thing for me because i feel like everyone has a saying in there point of view and should at least give out there opinion on what to do better. But my opinion on the residents having decision making over “traffic” is not fully fare because even tho the street traffic is apart our community it shouldn’t be our job to tell them how to run it the traffic has its own system on how they run it. One suggestion i would make to improve my neighborhood is more activities with the community because its always great to interact with your neighborhood.

7. I feel that neighborhoods should have limited power, when it comes to traffic they don’t have the power to change anything since the streets is a public transit. Noise, on the other hand, neighborhoods should have the power to keep things calm and quiet. Business is a sure thing when it comes to neighborhoods that it benefits the people the most when they are in need of items they can buy and the business itself can make profit. The one thing i suggest that may improve neighborhoods is that the people who live in them should bring about events that can help bring other people to socialize and have fun, especially, for the children to keep safe. The community can also gain a neighborhood watch so that there would not be any danger or the people who live in their neighborhood. For example, keeping crime rate low and trying not to get other people hurt.

8. My reaction to neighborhoods having power, i think it should be limited but at the same time it is good, no one knows whats best for a child but its mother, that can be aplied to the neighborhood having control.
    I live in the lower east side and the only thing i would like to see in changes is the level of protection and also the cost of housing. The only suggestion i can make is that we cant expect the cop to do it all, so we need to work together,

• I totally agree with you Temitope because we if there is protection in a neighborhood everything will be better. people will have the trust that nothing bad will happen to them outside their houses and that will bring people to come together and work for a better neighborhood.

9. Having active neighborhood is great because they they discuss what they can do to prevent any problem to whats going on in their area. Speaking of power about the power of controlling traffic. they cant do anything about it, instead they can secure that there is nothing that making traffic such as wrong parking and keeping their place clean. My suggestions that could improve our neighborhood is to communicate and respect the others.

10. I dont think neighborhood have power to effect traffic,what they can do is call police and get helps. also,they can only complain with noise,but they still need police involved.
    one sugguestion to my neighborhood is say hi to each others in morning,espeicialy in new york city,peoples strange with neighbors

11. I believe that people should have the power to say whatever they want about their community, so people have the right to complain about certain things and by having the power to change things you will have to meet with all the people in the neighborhood and talk about because in order to change do something, the majority of the people have to agree. So I agree that the people in the community have the right to have the power of making decisions in a place where they belong too. Also my suggestion to improve my neighborhood would be like I said have a meeting of all the people in the neighborhood and agree on what is best the place the live in.

12. I believe that the neighborhood should have power, when it come to the noise, traffic and business problem. the community will know better about themselves then the district mayor. For everyone to make a better society they should have society meeting for few hours once a month. one thing that society can do follow the rules made by management.

13. I think that getting people involve in their own neighbor needs is pretty cool. However, i don’t think that neighbors should infer about traffic because it already has its owns rules and try to change it in each neighborhood will be unhelpful. But in the other hand, i think people having the decision about what they want to do on your neighborhood helps to keep the good enviroment between them. I think one suggestion to improve a neighboorhood will be get the emails from all people living there and send suggestion about what they want and what they would do for the next holiday and try to make the neighborhood looks colorful and perky.

14. I think neighborhood residents having decision-making power is good because they have lots of feeling in their daily lives and know what they want when they live in neighborhood. For example, parents always want to a park has good environment for children to play ; they always worry about children wake up easily by the noise of garbage truck. In addition, most of neighborhood residents in my living area are parents, so I believe my neighborhood can improve a lot when they have power. I suggest that people can choose a president of the neighborhood first ,and then the president can organize a meeting every month in order to talk about some issue that the residents have. After discussing, they can try to make a solution and process it until all the residents agree.

15. I would get the street fixed because there’s a lot cracks and holes and that’s very dangerous someone could get hurt really badly. Also I would pic up the garbage because my streets are very dirty people tend to littler a lot. This would help my neighborhood in many ways like we are recycling and that helps the earth, because I am pretty sure u wouldn’t like to go out in front of your house with a pile of littler there

16. I do believe that neighbors are great help, and yes they are part of your life, but they also judge-mental and always think they are better than other neighbors, and they are two faces. Even when you need help you can reach to them sometimes, but they are what make a community because without them, a community wouldn’t have a routine, and a routine make a community

17. From my opinion, i think this is pretty good because people who lived in this neighborhood will have the real feeling about this neighborhood and they know this neighborhood so they know how to make it better and good for all the people who belongs here. i think if not everyone agreed with their idea they can have a vote or debate. because not everyone have the same opinion of it. but they will try to make them happy. I hope my neighborhood to build a wall to defended the noise from the railway so my neighborhood will be more quiet then now.

18. I think the neighborhood residents should make decision when it comes to traffic, noise, or business in their communities cause their children is growing up in that neighborhood so they need a good environment and good society. The residents should make a lot off rule depending on the society. Everyone in society should gather up and make decision about what’s going to happen in their society. Especially if its noisy outside everyday they all should speak about it in their community and fix it or else everyone will have a problem in the morning. Everyone should agree cause noise and traffic and the businesses can influence the community badly and effect the society in many way and it’s just not only one person it will affect everyone slowly by slowly. I would put some food restaurant around my neighborhood cause we where I live there is a lot of bar and not enough food store so I would love to open some food store.I think the neighborhood residents should make decision when it comes to traffic, noise, or business in their communities cause their children is growing up in that neighborhood so they need a good environment and good society. The residents should make a lot off rule depending on the society. Everyone in society should gather up and make decision about what’s going to happen in their society. Especially if its noisy outside everyday they all should speak about it in their community and fix it or else everyone will have a problem in the morning. Everyone should agree cause noise and traffic and the businesses can influence the community badly and effect the society in many way and it’s just not only one person it will affect everyone slowly by slowly. I would put some food restaurant around my neighborhood cause we where I live there is a lot of bar and not enough food store so I would love to open some food store.