Session #7

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Session #7

Kelly
    Participant

Today was more par for the course. Mostly lecture with some good examples for the students to work on. On a positive note, when the professor mentioned reaching out to Victor and I a couple of students did so. Both had calculator program issues. It made me curious as to what, if any, training using calculators or modern software for math. This may be a valuable topic to spend part of a class on. I would assume they have had training or practice, but simply do not recall how to use a calculator. A simple refresher could do a world of good for a few students.
    I also noticed the professor’s trend of encouraging students to memorize some material. This seems to go against a lot of modern dogma which encourages a deeper understanding over rote memory. However, I find a lot of value of rote memorization in math. In particular this is true in trigonometry. For instance, their are certain angles that should be memorized when converting from rads to degrees.

Ihn Lee
    Participant

I agree with you, Kelly. The way I learned was always memorizing math formulas. You can’t enjoy math by doing this…
    Prof. Kan uses calculate84 app. He said it is compatible with IOS. Not sure about android and window.

Patrice Prosper
    Participant

I agree with both of you Kelly and Ihn. Memorizing formulas and identities are not a good way to learn math and particularly trig. What I think there needs to be is method of teaching so that students can see the relationships with angles or understand the concepts of the Cartesian vs polar planes. An association needs to be made for each learning style.

On the other hand I spent time in the past week thinking about our discussion last week about eliminating the calculator. I thought about the different learning styles and how there are students, kinetics learners, who need to press the buttons on the calculator. Those learners may need that action in order to learn how to solve particular types of problems in the initial stage of learning.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.