Chem 2 Poster Project

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Chem 2 Poster Project

Hey guys I uploaded an excel of the figures we all recorded. I will try to post the intro tonight but it might be late with work.
    Did anyone hear the Professor mention the dimensions of the poster?

D. Samaroo
    Participant

i uploaded the poster template with the appropriate dimensions (42×31). It should be no more than 48×36.

i completed the title and presenters name

there are textboxes on the slides: The font of the body text should be 24 – 28. The abstract title, introduction title etc are font size 36.

i will double check the work before it is sent to printing.

the acknowledgment section is complete…..unless you guys want to add to it

Me and Andrew finished the abstract-

What do you guys think?

Abstract

Samples from four different locations on the Brooklyn beach front were collected before and after Hurricane Sandy and a City Tech reference sample. This was done in order to compare the various samples to City Tech reference and determine the correlation between the tests. Using multi-factor test strips and a conductivity probe, water samples were tested for nitrates, nitrites, hardness, pH, iron composition and conductivity. No significant amount of nitrates or nitrites was found in our samples, the pH values remained in a range from 6-8 with an average value of 7.25 consistent with a slightly basic solution. Iron levels showed slight increase in beach front water, hardness in pre and post Sandy samples were determined to be higher with average values of 200 ppm and 400 ppm, respectively, the reference sample tested zero ppm. Average conductivity values for pre, post and reference were found to be 2011 µS, 9067.5 µS and 92 µS, respectively. Based on these results it was concluded that there is a direct correlation between hardness levels and increases in conductivity.

Has anyone started the other parts of the poster?

D. Samaroo
    Participant

Abstract looks great. Maybe add one or two lines about the importance of these inorganics in water

D. Samaroo
    Participant

Nadya will attempt the Discussion part

Based on the tables shown in the results, there seems to be a direct positive correlation between hardness and conductivity. The average hardness of the pre, post and reference samples were found to be 200 (ppm), 400 (ppm) and zero (ppm) respectively. Their conductivity was averaged to be 2011(µS), 9067.5(µS) and 92 (µS), respectively. This indicates that hardness measures the amount of ……..present in water and a higher conductivity indicates that there is a greater concentration of ….. Present in the samples.
    These results can be understood based on the theories of electrical conductivity. The electrical conductivity of water measures the total amount of dissolved solids present in water. These solids mainly include calcium and magnesium, which are almost completely dissolved in the presence of water. When dissolved in water, these elements dissociate into positive and negative ions, making them excellent conductors of electricity. These minerals seep into the water from dirt, rocks, irrigation systems etc.

xiufangli

Conclusion

Based on use the multi-factor test strips and a conductivity probe to measure the three water samples, to test for its nitrates, nitrites, hardness, pH, iron composition and conductivity, and then compare it , it was determined that there is a direct correlation between the hardness levels and increases in conductivity. Also no amount of nitrates or nitrites was found in all three water samples.

//(ㄒoㄒ)// I felt it’s so redundant, should I add any new things?

Unfurtunately, I cant figure out how to open up the whole poster, so that I can see it. Bellow, I filled in the blanks for the discussion. Also, maybe we can add a few more points (if they were not added yet) about what water hardness means for humans and for fish species as well.

Based on the tables shown in the results, there seems to be a direct positive correlation between hardness and conductivity. The average hardness of the pre, post and reference samples were found to be 200 (ppm), 400 (ppm) and zero (ppm) respectively. Their conductivity was averaged to be 2011(µS), 9067.5(µS) and 92 (µS), respectively. This indicates that hardness measures the amount of ions, such as calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc present in water and a higher conductivity indicates that there is a greater concentration of metals present in the samples.
    These results can be understood based on the theories of electrical conductivity. The electrical conductivity of water measures the total amount of dissolved solids present in water. These solids mainly include calcium and magnesium, which are almost completely dissolved in the presence of water. When dissolved in water, these elements dissociate into positive and negative ions, making them excellent conductors of electricity. These minerals seep into the water from dirt, rocks, irrigation systems etc.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

It is believed that water hardness does not endanger human life. Infact, calcium or magnesium found in drinking water may be used as a supplement. Water hardness, however, may affect pipes by increasing residue build-up and thus decreasing the pressure of the water throughout a facility. Hard water also may require use of more soap or detergent during laundry. hard water may also leave residue on shower doors and tubs.
    Different fish have different requirements for water hardness. Overall, however, fish function via osmoregulation, where osmosis takes place and minarals such as calcium, magnesium, potasium and zinc enter the fish organs to support factors such as heart and bone health.

souces:
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/hardness.php
    http://www.watersystemscouncil.org/VAiWebDocs/WSCDocs/1683274HARDNESS.PDF

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.