Summer 2021 | Professor Goodlad + Professor Paruolo

Reflection, August 16

Watch this short video about emailing professors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqaRp8MyLOg&t=1s

Review your course syllabi. What does this information tell you about what you should expect at the start of the semester? 

If you do not have any course syllabi available yet, select one of the standard entry-level course syllabi linked below to use while completing this reflection.

Biology 1101

Hospitality Management 1101

Human Services 1102

Math 1190

1. Kaya

When reviewing my macroeconomics class, the syllabus tells me that I should be expecting more so assignments and homework with 2 major exams for middle of the semester and end of semester. I will also have online meetings using Blackboard collaborate.

• Evelyn Ng

That’s great! You can access blackboard collaborate by looking at the sidebar when you click on your macroeconomics class. Be sure you join the right room, sometimes professors have a room for each day or use the room that is open at all times.

2. stephanie shimon

After reviewing my marketing class, It is apparent that I should expect to study the science behind negotiating and networking. I also notice the work that is expecting of me to complete effectively and what my grade is mostly made up of are exams.

• Evelyn Ng

It sounds like there will be a lot of studying to do since the exams weigh a lot. Be sure to plan time out to study and have extra time during midterms and finals week for this class and the rest of your other classes. Best of luck!

3. Olimpia

Well, reading the syllabus for biology 1101 it tells me about the topics that will be reviewed for class for each week. That i must pass both lab and lecture class in order to pass the class, it also have some suggestions of what to do before class in order to be prepared for class. It also lets me know that if I’m not committed to study 3 hours every time after class that i should reconsider about even taking the class in the first place. I should also but attending class because it will affect my grades if I don’t. I need to purchase my own lab coat.

• Evelyn Ng

It’s good that you know what materials you will need for the course and the time you need to spend studying. I purchased my lab coat in the bookstore at City Tech, when I went there in person back before covid they had lab coats for us to try on so we could buy the right size.

4. Cindy

After looking at my biology syllabus I could see that it would have a lot of lessons of a lot of topics we will go through. I also see that is expected to have a biology textbook and grades are from the exams we will be taking as well.

• Quettenise, Zephir

After reviewing my Biology 1101 syllabus, I have come to learn that there 4 exams and 1 quiz. I notice there a lot of lesson and topics we will be discuss such as macromolecules 1 and 2.

• Jannatul elham

The syllabus for biology 1101 tells me about the topics that will be reviewed for class for each week. some suggestions of what to do before class in order to be prepared for class. I also see that is expected to have a biology textbook and
        the syllabus gives a heads up so the student can be aware of what’s going to happen in that course

• Evelyn Ng

A syllabus is great for knowing what you will be doing and learning. If you need to get the required text make sure you do so that you can complete the course work. Be prepared to plan time for this class to study for those exams. Wishing you the best of luck in this course!

• Derek

After reviewing the biology 1101 syllabus I understood the way that class is going to be evaluated, it gave information about the projects and assignments wich the student would have to complete.
        The syllabus gives a heads up so the student can be aware of what’s going to happen in that course

5. Mariela

After going through Math1190 syllabus, I noticed that I have 2 exams. I can also see what this class goal will be. I can see the requirements to pass this class, textbooks, and attendance.

• Evelyn Ng

Yes, a syllabus shows you what to expect for a class such as its goals, exams, and assignments. It’s great to know when you have exams so that you know what you need to study for the course. It’s a good idea to get the materials needed for the class in order to do the classwork as early as possible.

6. Faizan

After reviewing my biology syllabus, I have come to learn that there are 26 lectures in total and 4 final examination. After reading the course description I have come to learn that the class focuses on topics such as taxonomy, structure, nutrition, reproduction, heredity, development and evolution. I have realized that it is important to keep up with everything on my own with a personal planner.

• Evelyn Ng

It’s great to have a personal planner to write down all your deadlines and dates so that you can keep on top of things. I use a whiteboard and my phone to keep on track of things myself and it helps me stay focused on completing my work.

7. Ali Abbas

Since most of my syllabi weren’t available yet I referred to the math 1190 syllabus. What I expect from this course is we will apple mathematical thinking to real world context or problems. This course requires textbook which are important to refer to for assessment done at home or in class.

• Evelyn Ng

That’s right, it’s important that you have access to the required text in order to be able to complete the coursework. It’s a good idea to get access to the text as soon as possible so that you are prepared early instead of waiting for it to come in.

8. Isaac Ortega

When looking at my Psychology syllabus, it tells me what the topics will be for each week of class, as well as telling me what chapters are due on which dates along with when the quizzes will take place.

• Evelyn Ng

Very good! A syllabus should have the topics of each class as well as what chapters are due on which dates. I like to write down the due dates on my planner when I recieve my syllabus so I am always on top of my reading.

9. Sameea

After going through my MAT 1101 syllabus I have noticed leading upto the final test I have multiple review for each chapter we had through the course. I also noticed the professor has all set tests scheduled startecially.

• Sabrina Santos

Sameea,
      Great observation! Take advantage of the review being provided before the final exam. Also, take note of the days and times you have tests taking place!

10. Evelyn Ng

The first thing I notice on my syllabus is the professor’s contact method, class time, and office hours. When I review the body content of the syllabus on my internship class it tells me that it is writing-intensive. It also tells me what projects will be required for the course as well as how I will be graded.

11. Jaelah Cotton

As I read the syllabus for biology 1101 it broke down what topics will be covered weekly. It also stated that both the lab portion and class portion are equally important so that’s very important information. Having a timeline of assignments and topics helps you organize for the future,

• Sabrina Santos

Jaeleah,
      I love how you are starting to break down and plan out the semester! Creating a timeline and to-do list will be useful for you in order to keep yourself on track every semester.

12. Kailing

Looking at the Bio1101 syllabus, it tells me what the lectures are going to be about each week. It tells you when the exams are going to be and what the lab consists of. This is very helpful and allows us to prepare ahead of time.

• Evelyn Ng

Thats true! Looking at your syllabus allows you to prepare for a lot of things ahead of time so you know whats expected of you. I always check the syllabus for big projects like oral presentations so that I can mentally prepare. Great observations!

13. Kevin C

After reviewing my film syllabus it tells me what type of movies we are gonna look into and what are the outcomes from learning in this class. It also tells me how are grading is gonna be like throughout the class

• Evelyn Ng

Oh wow film class! That sounds exciting. Knowing what you need to complete in order to pass the class can help you understand what the professor is expecting. It’s great that you know what movies you will be watching, I hope they are interesting!

14. Kiran

Even though it is not my syllabus, After reviewing MAT 1101 I knew that which topic I’m going to read what knowledge I’m able to get, which book i should follow, why I’m not supposed to miss the class, assignment time, academic integrity and college policy.

• Evelyn Ng

Good stuff! It’s important to show up to classes and meet your assignment deadlines while maintaining academic integrity. Math takes a lot of practice but there are so many resources at the college such as tutoring and office hours. I know you can do well!

15. Johanne Viery

When reviewing the ‘Hospitality Management 1101’ syllabus I learned that if I were a student taking this class there are a few things I should expect at the start of the semester. I know that in the first week in class we will be doing an introduction. While in the second week we will start the topic of the History of Hospitality, I know all the topics we will be talking about from the 1st to 15th week. I also learned that late work will not be accepted in this class and that some of
    grading procedures are 10% for participation & 25% for weekly homework.

• Sabrina Santos

Johanne,
      The great about the syllabus is that it will always have you prepared ahead of time! It will be your key to success every semester, never lose it because almost 90% of your questions will be answered by it. Participation does count don’t forget!

16. Togero III

From what I’ve read in the BIO1101 course syllabus, there will be a lot of topics to discuss during each class. With an exam being held after every 6-7 classes.

This shows that I’ll have to focus as much as I can on studying given the amount of time I have for myself.

• Sabrina Santos

Togero,
      Yes! Study, study, study it will feel challenging but you’ve got this as long as you have determination! 🙂 Make sure to plan things out to stay on top of your exams.

17. Zannatun

After looking at the bio syllabus I saw there’s a lot of topic and lab schedule.
    Also that I have to buy study guide and textbooks.

• Sabrina Santos

Zannatun,
      Study guides will help! You can actually find a few online for free a great website is Quizlet, take a look at it 🙂 You’ve got this!

18. Wendy Acosta

After looking at the human services syllabus I know there is a community health project and its due the tenth week of class. Also, a thirty minute discussion is required to receive a grade. There are some exams in this class and I will have to study and practice time management to get things done.

• Sabrina Santos

Wendy,
      Yes, time management is key and you really will have to learn how to manage your time as a college student. Paying attention to your due dates is important because you don’t want to miss any important homework, projects, or exam!

19. Bilal Badar

It’s important to show up to classes and meet your assignment when I went to my syllabus it showed me all the goals and courses I need to take and also I noticed it showed exams

• Evelyn Ng

Super important to show up to classes so that you don’t miss important information. It’s great to write down what dates you have exams so that you can prepare for them. Good points made!

20. Fedaa Khalil

After reviewing the biology syllabus I see that there are 28 lectures and 4 exams. I’ve noticed how all the topics are provided and this will help me be more organized. I’ll know what topic I’m on exactly. I’ll also know what topics will be on each exam and this will help studying be more organized.

• Sabrina Santos

Fedaa,
      That is what is great about a syllabus! You have all the information you need in the palm of your hand. Use it as a study guide to keep track of the different concepts you will be learning and as a point of reference when studying for exams!