Brooklyn, Everchanging

Standing as a silent observer, the Brooklyn Historical Society has been part of chronicling the changes the borough of Brooklyn has faced. Whether it be fires, disease, or simply changing of an areas name, the Brooklyn Historical Society has it all.

On my own personal visit to the wise building, I was able to see not only the knowledge that was archived in the building, but also the careful design put into the buildings infrastructure. As we walked up the stairs to the library, I was able to notice and marvel at both. This column is but a small example of the careful design put into the library of this building.

It was not the architecture alone that had me wishing to view more. I had the chance to actually see maps from 1874 and 1908. These maps showed the changes from how the area was mostly an industrial area in 1874, to slowly becoming more residential in 1908, to fully residential in the present-day.

Overall, visiting the Brooklyn Historical Society was a unique experience. As an aspiring architect, to see how the materials changed over time. It made me think, “will my buildings, need to be changed to meet the needs of the time? Or will  it stand as a constant reminder of the past?” I can not wait for my next visit to the Brooklyn Historical Society

This entry was posted in Student Post and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Brooklyn, Everchanging

1. julie001 says:

I also was lucky to view the maps of 1904 an 1874. Studying architecture the maps were something cool to look at. I got to see first hand what they used for materials back then both in industrial and residential. I agree with this quote “will my buildings, need to be changed to meet the needs of the time? Or will it stand as a constant reminder of the past?” it makes you think will what I do in the future be held for something important or will it just be another building of its time.