Where History Can Be Touched

As i walked to the Brooklyn Historical society i looked up and saw a bright red bricked building. There is no way you can miss it screams for attention and it always receives it. This building is far distinct from any other that surrounds it, but besides its bright color it has amazing detail on the exterior. The breathtaking design is sculptures which are of people’s heads. This made me wonder if these people had something important to do with the BHS.

We then made our way to the entrance of the structure it was real beautiful and well taken care of. Soon after the librarians introduced themselves and gave some small precautions taken to maintain the shape of the library. While all that was going on what really caught my eye was the exhibition they had on the Brooklyn Dodgers. The piece that really stood out to me was the World Series banner of 1955, not only is it amazing to have in your possession it is a big deal due to how important it is to Brooklyn’s history. The librarians then lead us to the stairs which were quite large and seem to creek for every step you took they felt and looked like they had plenty of history behind them.

When we arrived at the door we were told to sign in in order to keep track of the visitors that entered the library. We made our way through to huge wooden doors to see a beautiful library like none I have ever seen. It was something like on a set of a movie two floors all wood with carvings in the wooded columns. We were split in to three different groups each with its on task. The task that my group was assigned to was to read a letter by Lucy Kolkin to her husband Alfred Kolkin. The letter wasn’t a copy it was the actual letter with her handwriting it was difficult to read but as a unit we managed to overcome the problem. In her letter you could feel the passion and love she felt for her husband. She also was willing to travel across the United States to just be closer to him. Reading the letter made me feel as if they were right in front of me having a conversation. I’m so pleased to have been in the BHS having history at my finger tips.

This entry was posted in Student Post. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Where History Can Be Touched

1. Isaias G. says:

Your post was very interesting and well-thought out. I like your use of personification when you said “it screams for attention and it always receives it.” It illustrates perfectly how the BHS just draws you. Te mentioning of the Brooklyn Dodgers was also an interesting bit of detail. It helped to further the importance of the BHS in preserving and remembering Brooklyn history. All in all a well written post. One thing I think that would have been nice to add though, would’ve of been a bit more detail about the letter itself looked despite it’s age. If it was difficult to read or not, things like that.

2. I really enjoy how you opened the article saying by personifying the building. I also like how you mentioned each activity you did, even if it wasn’t really important to the visit (writing your name down on the paper), because of you listing every single thing you did, it gives the reader a real feeling of being there. My whole life I have heard that museums are boring and I must agree that reading the letters from Lucy makes you feel that you’re actually there.

3. zhik says:

I like that you are the only other person that was interested in the Dodgers exhibit. I went and looked at that exhibit after our class and it was super cool. The thing that attracted me the most was the architectural plans of stadiums. A really funky looking plate; like a big pillow. And a newspaper article of the dodgers boss promising Brooklyn that they aren’t going anywhere.