How I got the job

My role in the Communications department of HRA is that of a graphic designer. As an intern I do all sorts of graphic design. I create posters, pamphlet layouts, logos, infographics, illustrations etc. My supervisor, Joanna Flokiewicz, is the department’s senior designer and was also one of my interviewers alongside the department director.

I came across this opportunity through Citytech’s work-study, Public Service Corps Program. After I applied I received a call about a week later from the director, Ms. Gulamhussain, and set up an interview for the following week. I had an in-person interview with both her and my supervisor. The interview began with the director explaining what they do in the department and what the agency does in general. She told me how she also attended Citytech and got to where she is by starting as an intern within the same department. I was asked questions about what kind of design I was pursuing and if I was still interested in working at HRA. I had a physical portfolio with me as well so I had work to show and so we talked about my work and the type of designing I would be involved with if I took the job. I was definitely interested and just happy that I had this opportunity, so naturally I accepted the job. The next step, however, was a lengthy three week process to get a contract signed and processed through a few people, but I was just thankful to have found a good place to jumpstart my career and learn first-hand, from professionals to advance my own skills.