1. When shooting a portrait it is most important to have lighting direction and the right amount of lighting. Also the framing can do a lot to help the portrait look balanced.
2. Broad lighting falls more on the side of the face with the ear showing. Short lighting is more focused on the center of the face.
3. The main light lights the subject directly and/or is reflected onto the subject.
4. The fill light helps to balance and diffuse the light on the subject.
5. The background light brightens the background to give contrast between the background and the subject.
This is my favorite picture from today because the lighting really matches the mood and it is very well framed on the subject(Ming Yin). It could have been better lit on the subject but the darkness reflects the tone of the image.