Jeff Liao-Habitat Big Pictures for a Big City Gallery

http://www.saulgallery.com/liao/links.html

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/big-pictures-for-a-big-city/

What type of photograph is it?

It’s a scenery shot taken from the sky to show the vastness of the Grand Concourse in the Bronx.

What can you tell/guess about the photographer’s intention?

I believe that the photographer’s intention was to show as the title of the gallery states, how big and vast the Concourse is. The Bronx really isn’t known for being “the city” but it is a major part of the city and it is such a “Grand” place.

What emphasis has the photographer created and how has it been done?

I believe the emphasis was not what the camera was pointing at, but what was in the distance. To really show how big an area is, you have you create a sense of depth and the best way to do that is to do at an overhead level which is what the photographer did.

Do technical matters help/hinder the image?

Since the image is done overhead, I believe that it helped the image because it got what the photographers intentions were and that was size.

Are graphic elements important (tone,line, perspective)?

The key in this picture was the perspective. Had the image not been taken where it was, the effect might not of been as effective.

What else does the image reveal other than what is immediately evident?

Since the Gran Concourse is such a busy area in the Bronx, this picture actually reveals a not so busy side of the Grand Concourse that not many people from the Bronx are used to.

What emotional impact does the photograph have?

I honestly can’t say because I don’t feel like there is an emotion portrayed.

How does this photograph relate to others in the same series by the same photographer?

The gallery is named “Big Pictures for a Big City” so naturally the picture needs to be of the city, and big and like all the other pictures in the gallery, it is of the city and it is “big”

Filed under HW1

One Response to Jeff Liao-Habitat Big Pictures for a Big City Gallery

1. You describe this photo well and identify the angle of view and the deep space as its most important attributes. I certainly agree. I think one also get a sense of how the train yard might be important. I also agree with you that the point of this photograph is not really to convey an emotion. It is to convey the size and grandeur of a place.