Citation and Research Management Tools
- EasyBib A simple, easy-to-use tool for managing citations. Set up an account to save your work.
- Zotero Free Firefox extension and standalone application that helps manage information found on the internet including articles in library databases. Enables capture of data and creation of bibliographies.
- Refworks Web-based bibliographic citation management tool featuring importing of references from online databases and creation of bibliographies in a variety of citation styles. Available to City Tech students, faculty, and staff. Log-in with your City Tech ID is required.
- Mendeley Free online service that facilitates management of research documents and creation of bibliographies. Also has many features that support collaboration between researchers.
Student Self-Evaluation of Discussion Participation
- Distribute these questions to participants and have them complete these. Discuss with participants whether you as the instructor will see the students’ responses. The questionnaires are to be completed anonymously.
- What ideas, questions or information did I contribute to the discussion today?
- How did I try to encourage another student to speak today?
- What did I learn from the discussion today? (New information, a new understanding of something already covered, an idea to follow up after the discussion, etc.)
- How did I make connections between what different people were saying today?
Fostering Class Discussion
Principles of good discussion, as specified by Brookfield and Presskill (2007), are to be used under the following appropriate conditions:
- When multiple perspectives on content are possible
- When applications of content to real life settings are being considered
- When students already have grasped the essentials or basics of what is being discussed, the ‘grammar’ of the activity
- When there is a genuine openness about where the discussion might lead.
Further, the chances for good discussion are raised when:
Continue reading Teaching Strategy Tip #38