Student and Faculty Comments

Each semester the project surveys all students and faculty participating in the ePortfolio project. The comments have been very helpful in making programmatic changes both large and small, i.e. revising computer lab hours/days, new equipment procurement and planning for ePortfolio 2.

What was the best part of creating your ePortfolio?

What was the worst part of creating your ePortfolio?

STUDENT COMMENTS

• Creating my ePortfolio allowed me to display my accomplishments on the web.
  • It was something new to me and I enjoyed the challenge.
  • Writing about my strengths, limitations, and goals.
  • I liked creating web links to my internship. I didn’t realize it was easy.
  • My work can be posted online, so employers can see it.
  • Developing the design, color scheme, and learning about new software.
  • Putting images on my website.
  • Fantastic experience. I will continue to work on my website throughout my time at City Tech.
  • Once it’s finished, I can forward the address to any employer, friend, or person of my choice. Also, I would have a chance to express myself in full and employers can learn more about me!
  • Being creative.
  • It gave me a chance to organize my skills and put them to use in a professional and technical way.
  • People can see my work around the world.
  • Organizing my thoughts.
  • I feel that all students should have the chance to do this.
  • It was a new experience.
  • I realized that I want to continue with my career and I want to go on for my Master’s degree.
  • Feeling a sense of accomplishment when viewing the finished product.
  • The support I received from the professors and the peer tutors.
  • The comfort of the ePortfolio lab – it was quiet and peaceful.
  • The process itself (of creating the portfolio). I’ve never done anything like that before so it was fun.
  • It’s already over, but we are lucky to have access to it in order to update.
  • It offered me an opportunity to gather my thoughts because of the quiet relaxing atmosphere. This experience provided me with a chance to write about my thoughts, experiences and express my talents openly for others to share. It offered me a chance to allow people to see the real me.
  • I enjoyed creating my video.
  • I was able to think about my long term goals.
  • Knowing more about the industry and getting a clear understanding about where I want to be.

• A bit confusing in the beginning on uploading the information.
  • Creating the links.
  • The worst part was not having the lab open on Saturdays. Many evening students cannot go to the lab during their regular hours.
  • Dreamweaver was and still is very confusing, but with the help from the lab tutors I am doing just fine.
  • ePortfolio lab should extend its operating hours to every evening.
  • Due to my working hours and school schedule, there was not enough time to really do all that I wanted to do in creating a good ePortfolio.
  • Having to find all my projects and uploading them.
  • Remembering the steps and how to do it.
  • I didn’t know how to create an ePortfolio but now I can make it on my own.
  • Downloading programs and figuring how to transfer documents on the web.
  • The worst part of creating my ePortfolio was working with Dreamweaver.
  • I could not do the work at home because I don’t have the software to complete the assignments.
  • The inability to upload documents from home. I had a hard time accessing the website that was to set up my ePortfolio from home since my commute to school is so far.
  • Finding the time between work and classes plus having a life outside of school was the hardest part.
  • Having to come to school to use the computer lab to upload my files.
  • Not having the ePortfolio lab open that many evenings. I used my computer at home, but it is slower equipment than the lab.
  • Not being able to work from home.
  • Figuring how to put it all together with the given programs.
  • Figuring out what to write and gathering information.
  • Deciding how the ePortfolio should look. You don’t want it to be to colorful or wordy. You want it to be rational. You also want it to catch the attention of the employer.
  • No one can access your website unless you give them the exact address.
  • Picking different pictures and designs.
  • Technical understanding of HTML
  • The worst part was that it is absolutely hard to see the professor’s side.
  • The conversion of CAD files to PDF to JPEG.
  • The worst part was when I first arrived in the lab and had no idea what I was doing.
  • It is time consuming and the energy it takes to create, upgrade and post it.
  • Writing the introduction.
  • Not knowing Dreamweaver.

FACULTY COMMENTS

Dr. Justine Pawlukewicz, Department of Human Services: The ePortfolio supported those students who may have never used a computer or attempted to access the internet. For those who had it increased their computer skills. Many of my students were creative in their presentation of the ePortfolio. Some used sound, movement and other sophisticated graphics.

In terms of the content it challenged the students to perfect their writing skills since it is viewed in a public forum. The choice of content also encouraged them to make their decisions in terms of confidentiality and explanation of their career for the lay person to understand.

For those who had yet to design a resume, many students completed this extra credit ePortfolio exercise in their second year of college. Again, grammatical preciseness, attention to detail, layout and presentation were paramount for this type of assignment.

Prof. Adrianne Wortzel, Department of Advertising Design & Graphic Arts Advertising and Design: students have a tendency to separate their developing design knowledge and skills from themselves. That is, they are educated for roles in industry and often seek recognition for their efforts from the eyes of “others”— clients, professors and/or peers. This makes perfect sense for their professional development but has a drawback, if, in the course of their education, they lose sight of the relationship between what they are learning and the value of their own creativity and critical thinking in choosing and developing content.

I cannot emphasize enough the insight and self-knowledge gained by these students in creating their ePORTFOLIOS. It was a new and valuable experience for them to consider a presentation in terms of WHO they are, WHERE they are on their journey and WHAT they hope for. The project created self-awareness, and a new, healthy self-consciousness about their own development over time and its validity as an achievement. In addition, the ePortfolio project gave my students the opportunity to hone their writing skills. For students based in imagery, this was particularly beneficial.

Prof. Tanya Mayulta, Department of Computer Information Systems: When starting this project, I didn’t see how the ePortfolio could be really useful for the Computer major students. But after the very first semester I was excited to see how this project took to a absolutely new level the presentation of students. Results: the projects and assignments of the course were presented in a structured and organized way, and were easy to read and analyze. Having ePORTFOLIOS allowed us to have class discussions about the projects. And, actually, as I was joking, ePORTFOLIOS added a “human touch” to my courses: viewing and discussing portfolios with short biographies of the students, their goals and dreams was very moving, and allowed all of us to learn more about each other.