Project I Pre-Pre-Production

After reading the project’s general ideas (see below), in this thread, you can start posting some ideas on what kinds of footage you would like to shoot. This thread will be open until our class meets on November 4th. You will receive some points by participating in it. Any idea is welcome at this point based on the project’s general ideas.

General Ideas for Project One

– You need to come up with short scenes, and shoot footage in class. The scenes don’t need to be related to each other.

РSome of the portrait lighting techniques, Rembrandt, split, and butterfly will be included.

– Some of the “design principles” of your choice will be included (probably two of them). They are unity, balance, visual tension, rhythm, proportion, contrast, texture, and directionality

– You will be also required to create “visual depth” in terms of overlap, size change, linear perspective, and foreshortening (two of them of your choice). Chiaroscuro is omitted here as it is covered in the lighting requirements.

My advise is to focus on visual storytelling instead of relying on dialogues so much.

This project is meant to be fun, and is for you to exhibit some of your skills and knowledge from our previous sessions!

This is an example from past students (see the YouTube link). I believe the lighting requirements were about the same.

If you fast forward to 04:25, you will find younger Lukasz as a student acting:

14 thoughts on “Project I Pre-Pre-Production”

1. What about a sci-fi story line? We could use the foreshortening technique to create a space scene with a model toy spaceship close to the camera with stars and planets hanging further away from the camera with the black curtain as the background.

1. Whatever story ends up happening I love to really use the camera, such as one takes and tracking shots, zooms, and rack focusing. These could be used to combine design principles and visual Depth.

1. Maybe a murder mystery where anybody can be the suspect but the real killers face is hidden using Chiaroscuro lighting and Foreshortening to put the killer in the background of the victims pointing the weapon to the back of the victims head.

2. One idea, could be about someone taking drugs in a alley way. The black curtain would be the background with the scene primarily focused on the person’s reaction to the drug. There could be rembrandt and split on their face to emphasize the visual tension.

3. I want to use the dolly for a possible tracking shots in a school drama about scandal, cheating, and theft. It can be a small version of “Power” for those who watch it. Numerous portrait lighting techniques can be used like rembrandt, forshortening, size change, especially contrast where it can be done in black and white. Just some early ideas to be developed

4. I want to use the dolly for a possible tracking shots in a school drama about scandal, cheating, and theft. It can be a small version of “Power” for those who watch it. Numerous portrait lighting techniques can be used like rembrandt, forshortening, size change, especially contrast where it can be done in black and white. Just some early ideas to be developed

5. This thread is closed.
    From now on, for Project I, you need to post your comments on your group’s thread.

Project I Criteria:
    https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/ent3290fall2019new/project-i-criteria/

Group A: Jelani, Emmanuel, Cristian, Alisha, Melisa, Nico, Eudora
    https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/ent3290fall2019new/project-i-group-a/

Group B: Roosevelt, Shennie, Edwin, Bacillio, Conny, Mo (Lawrence), Nick, Amar
    https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/ent3290fall2019new/project-i-group-b/