Homework7 due 06/25/2020

HW7

Crispin Thys

09/25/2020

ENG1121

Prof. Street

First, I want you to read Young’s text and then respond with a paragraph describing what you think her view/definition/interpretation of sexual assault is.  Consider both what she thinks IS sexual assault AND what she thinks IS NOT sexual assault (saying what a thing is NOT is just as important to forming a definition as is the ability to say what it IS).

I believe that Young’s view of sexual assault is that today we are increasingly forced to put things into black and white boxes, and I think that she thinks it is dangerous to fall into this trap. Young argues, that having sex to please your partner, when you are not particularly in the mood, is not considered sexual assault, but she questions why two seemingly enthusiastic individuals who are intoxicated is considered assault. She argues that if someone were to clearly say no, and maintain that no when pressured, and is forced into a sexual encounter, this would be classified as assault, but Young does not believe that if you initially say no, but change your mind later without explicitly saying yes, that this is considered assault. I think her view addresses the gray area and argues that things are not always a matter of yes and no.

2)Second, I want you to read Munro’s “Wild Swans” and write a paragraph summarizing the story that is focused on whether or not you would define its “main event” as a form of sexual assault. Be sure to include a close reading & analysis of one quotation from the text as well as your own specific thoughts about what YOU think the definition of sexual assault IS and IS NOT.

I would define the main event in white swan as a form of sexual assault. Specifically, when Munro writes, “Nevertheless, she would rather not. She would still rather not. Please remove this, she said out the window. Stop it, please, she said to the stumps and barns.” This was the only confirmation that I needed to know that this was, in my eyes, sexual assault. I believe that sexual assault exists when one party does not wish to partake in the sexual encounter. In fact, none of us should be forced to be placed in a position when we are uncomfortable. Even when it was simply a corner of the newspaper touching her leg, it should have ended there. The girl should have felt comfortable speaking up in this instance to say no, and it is unfortunate that she did not end it here. Even though she tried to say, “Please don’t” and she was unable, the minister should have been able to recognize her discomfort and stopped there.