Prof. Jody R. Rosen | LH10 | Fall 2022

Discussion: Introductions

“Hello My Name Is” by Travis Wise via Flickr CC BY 2.0

This semester, we will work collaboratively in this course and across the three courses in this First Year Learning Community (FYLC). To get to know each other better, please add a comment to this post introducing yourself to the class. You could include your academic interests, why you chose your major and what your focus will be, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, what you like to cook or eat, what the furthest away you’ve ever traveled, where you like to spend time, or anything else you want to share, include your pronouns, if you wish. Your introduction can include images or links as well as approximately 150 words (that’s a goal, not a requirement).

Remember that you do not need to use your real name in this comment–if you are signed in, your display name will be autogenerated as the author of the comment, so no need to add it.

Also, remember that even if you don’t have an OpenLab account, you can still complete this assignment because you can still add a comment! If you haven’t been able to sign up for an account, you can still do this work by adding your comment and filling in the Name and Email fields–the name you use will show, so feel free to just use your initials; your email address will only display for the course instructors.

Before we meet in person on Tuesday, 8/30, please add your introduction.

Get to know your classmates by reading the comments!  Do you have something in common? Did you learn something? Reply to any of your classmates’ comments.

1. Alberto Jeanpierre

My name is Alberto Samuel Jenanpierre and I am 18 yeas old. I love history classes, and psychology classes and love watching anime. I don’t love hanging out with my friends all the time and drive with them. I don’t usually cook by I do stick to a diet which is mainly vegetables and protein. I love my hair and take a lot of pride in it. I could be short tempered or easily aggravated. I have a lot of pet peeves and certain things could tick me off sometimes. I love high school and love all my high school friends and don’t really plan on moving on from that life whatsoever. I don’t have a problem making new friends, but I sincerely love high school so much to the point I’ll avoid making any close friends in college because I don’t want to replace that feeling. I am a nursing major, and i choose this major because literally every member of my family works in the medical field, from my parents to my aunts and uncles and some of my cousins. I love science as well so i believe this path would defiantly lead me down a successful path. And I am confident in myself that I can get the job done. I listen to a lot of trap music, or even 80- early 2000, s if I’m in the mood. The furthest I traveled was to Nigeria when I was 2, I don’t really have a favorite food but ill avoid eating unhealthy foods.

• Alberto Jeanpierre

I do love hanging out with my friends all the time*

• Jody R. Rosen

Welcome, Alberto! It’s great to get to know you better. It’s great that you had such a good high school experience and have a close group of friends. Are any of them here with you at City Tech? I imagine in nursing, you’ll spend a lot of time with your classmates and form strong bonds, but I agree, there’s something special about friends from before college, even if they’re not in our daily lives.

There are some health food stores near City Tech, and a great farmer’s market on Tuesdays and Thursdays, if you’re interested!

• Alberto Jeanpierre

Out of all my friends, 2 of them are here with me in city tech.

2. Amy

My name is Amy, I’m a second year student at city tech and I am planning to major in Nursing. I prefer listening to different podcast rather than reading but when I do read in order to catch my attention It’d have to be suspenseful. My favorite podcaster would have to be Ashley Flowers, she’s host to a few of the podcast I follow… all of the podcast I follow. I like to live by a schedule, for example my day to day routine looks the same during the week so I know what I have to do and when and if something were to interfere even by a minute, I feel as though everything will result in a mess. I love traveling and learning about different cultures and beliefs. So I would love to, one day involve my fondness for travel with the interest I have in the medical field.

3. Luis

Hey sorry for the late response but at least it shows what kind of person I am. I procrastinate a lot and always do stuff in the last minute. I don’t know why but laziness has been a personality trait I’ve had since I was young so I don’t know why I chose to pursue an architect career. I grew up in the Bronx and have been blessed to see the city change over the years. I guess I want to be part of that change.

• Jody R. Rosen

Welcome, Luis! Are there built spaces or buildings in the Bronx that inspire you? Or in other places in the city or even in other places? Feel free to share some images or links to help inspire the rest of us, too! There are some beautiful buildings and built spaces near City Tech that you might want to explore if you haven’t already.

And thanks for reminding all of us that it’s not too late to add to earlier discussions! I know many students posted introductions on your City Tech 101 workshop site–feel free to take that and build on it to share it in this space. I usually wait until more students have introduced themselves before I introduce myself, but now that we’re so far into the semester, I won’t wait any longer and will share my introduction.

4. Jody R. Rosen

Hi everyone! My name is Jody R. Rosen and I use she/her/hers pronouns. I usually use my middle initial (R) because there’s another Jody Rosen who writes about music and pop culture, but I’m not him! Also my middle initial is in my City Tech email address, so I think that keeps things clearer.

I’ve taught in the FYLC program for a long time, with departments such as Communication Design (COMD), Architectural Technology (ARCH), and Hospitality Management (HMGT), as well as with Public Speaking (COM) in Humaities (HUM). City Tech 101 is new, so this is my first time teaching in a FYLC that includes CT101–I’m really excited about it!

I am a native New Yorker and love seeing new places and taking photographs, using skills I learned when I worked with a photography class in my first few years teaching in the FYLC program. I don’t have to travel far to enjoy seeing new things or seeing things from a different vantage point. I love photographing things that don’t always mean to be beautiful–like the lichen that grows on trees and wooden benches and rocks all around us, one of which I used for our course site avatar and header image.

” />

I’m one of the OpenLab co-directors and a professor in the English Department, and I have a PhD in English from the CUNY Graduate Center. But as an undergraduate at Brown University, I double-majored in English and Biology. People used to ask me if I wanted to write science textbooks, seeing that as a way to combine my majors. I had no interest in that, but I do like using science in my creative writing, and as a metaphor in my literary and gender-studies scholarship (mostly focused on the early 20th century). My research lately focuses more on teaching and learning and on open digital pedagogy and the OpenLab. I’m also expanding into researching detective fiction that takes place in the 1920s. I’m always interested in mentoring undergraduate research on any of these topics.

If you have any questions for me, want to learn more about what I do, or just want to talk, feel free to reach out to me, or reply to me here!