A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Tan Assignment

“Language is the tool of my trade.” pg 1 –  I really like this quote because when she says this she means she uses this tool ‘language’ as a way to express herself. It can also mean that language is what she uses to get her job done. She is an author and writing is all about language.

“Her language, as I hear it, is vivid, direct, full of observation and imagery” pg 1- I agree with this because Tan knows what her mother is exactly saying when she is speaking english. It is a way she speaks and delivers her words. 

“… that is, because she expressed them imperfectly her thoughts were imperfect.” – This quote really stood out to me because, I too have parents who would be considered as speaking “broken english”. Sometimes people do not take my mom serious too. But she is not saying anything wrong. From what I hear when my mom talks is very good english, especially for someone who did not even go to school in America. Just because someone is not speaking the same as the next person, they should not be considered as imperfect or unimportant. 

“When I was fifteen, she used to have me call people on the phone to pretend I was she” pg 2 – I relate to this quote a lot because my siblings and I would have to do this as well. Sometimes my mom would even make me write down what she should say on paper. 

“ I wanted to capture what language ability tests can never reveal: her intent, her passion, her imagery, the rhythms of her speech and the nature of her thoughts.” – I also agree with this because a test should never define how smart or perfect a person is. It all matters what is inside. Do not judge a book by its cover!

1. Lisa Cole

Excellent annotations.