Unit 1, Day 2: Wed. Feb. 16th

READ and ANNOTATE  ‘Navigating Genres’ by Kerry Dirk. Write a response to the questions below. Make sure to thoughtfully respond to the questions. Do not just write a few words in response, write a meaningful answer that is based in the text. Use evidence and examples from the text to support your thinking.

ANNOTATE

When annotating the text think about

• An interesting fact or detail
  • Questions
  • A section you like or dislike
  • Key comprehension details (anything that might answer one of your questions, tell you something you find interesting)
  • Key words, phrases, main idea

Underline, highlight, circle or add a sticky note in at least 3-4 places!

READING QUESTIONS

1. What did you think of the piece? Be honest! Did you like it? Explain!
  2. What is one thing you annotated in the text? Why did you annotate it?
  3. What are some genres that you feel you know well? How did you learn them? What are their common rhetorical features?
  4. How much freedom do you enjoy when writing? Does it help to have a form to follow, or do you find it to be limiting?

1. Nastassia Molicheva

The information covered in the piece was easy to comprehend and relate to. It was mostly due to the previous knowledge on the topic of genres, but also because of the author’s explanation of what they were trying to achieve.

Among many things I’ve annotated, this one had the biggest impact: “..all genres matter because they shape our everyday lives”. While in school, most “every day” genres were being overlooked or frowned upon as unnecessary to explore, and outright “wrong”, with the formal genres being the goal. It is important to see the value of learning about a multitude of genres.

The genres I know quite well are the ones I use most: OpenLab/Blackboard school-related discussions, business emails, letters to various customer service departments, and, lastly (and least used), essays. The common features amongst them are the need for formal delivery and the fact that they’re all performed in writing form.

I am not largely familiar with writing in different genres, and sometimes have challenges with properly analyzing pieces of text, so it definitely helps to have a “skeleton” of ideas and regulations about how to write something. As long as I have an understandable reference, or have grasped the most important aspects of the genre, I’m good to go.

I have recently come across a helpful video about annotating and taking notes and would like to share my notes as they might be valuable for the class. Here’s the link to it: https://nastassiamolicheva.notion.site/Taking-Better-Notes-from-long-texts-613bbfd6c0744468bdf8d568c58b157a

• Steven Galushka

I like your 2nd response I totally agree i also found it important to learn about all genres because how important all of them are.

2. Mushfiq Alam

From the first paragraph I had been interested in the text. By no means was I invested in the text but to start off the text with such an odd topic like country music had piqued my curiosity. It gradually got better afterwards as the author used different examples, particularly the part when they begin to start talking about ransom letters. It was surprising to see yes but still present nonetheless.

Something that I annotated that stood out to me was “It’s likely that you each have your own definition of what a thesis statement should and should not look like”. It’s not the actual text that I had found interesting but rather what it hints at. It suggests the idea that we all may be using the same genre but never in the same way. It can be similar but never the same, making it unique to us.

A genre that I feel comfortable with are emails. My reasoning being that I prefer writing in more formal tones as it comes off as natural to me. Learning how to write emails came about as I had begun to apply and enter internships and had been further expanded within school as it served to help me contact advisors or teachers in the instance that I needed their assistance. A common feature among emails are that they have a particular format that is used, greeting statement of the person whom it is addressed to, purpose, and concluding statement often used to signify a goodbye.

Having the ability to write freely enables me to write without constraints and express my ideas onto paper more openly. This is because I don’t have to worry that I’m not following the prompt or I’m messing up somewhere along the way.

3. Tehmina Imanat

1. This piece was very interesting and contained a lot of examples, tips, and information that are very helpful for future writings. The way the author started the essay off got me hooked on to continue reading more. The author explained the importance of genres and how much we use them in our daily lives.
    2. One thing I annotated in the text is, I highlighted when the author stated, “By this point, you might realize that you have been participating in many different genres—whether you are telling a joke, writing an email, or uploading a witty status on Facebook. ” I highlighted this because it shows the impprtmave of genres and how it is used by people every day, without us not even knowing it. As a note on the side, I annotated, “with the genres we use, it also determines the tone we are speaking in or how the situation is portrayed.
    3. Some genres that I know well are personal narratives, feature articles, and emails. I learned them all in my English classes. The common features are that they are very specific and descriptive.
    4. Personally, I like when there are limits/rules or a form to follow when it comes to writing.

4. Abdul Ikhlaq

Reading the essay “Navigating Genres” written by Kerry Dirk was informative. I liked how Kerry used question and answer in the beginning to grab our attention. Also the fact that he used “Country” music as a genre, knowing that his young audience wouldn’t know much about that genre.

I highlighted the first five lines on page 252. Kerry Dirk summarises what Lloyd Bitzer states. Kerry Dirk states “In other words, Bitzer is saying that when something new happens that requires a response, someone must create that first response. Then when that situation happens again, another person uses the first response as a basis for the second, and eventually everyone who encounters this situation is basing his/her response on the previous ones, resulting in the creation of a new genre”. I like how Bitzer states in his own words what Bitzer states because that is true, that’s the process of how a group or a category is formed. People go back to previous assumptions or theories to use as evidence.

Genres that I feel I know well are texting or messaging online. I’m good at telling the tone through a screen based on the person I’m messaging with. Also based off the topic, for example, if it’s work related and I’m texting my boss, I know the conversation we will have through emails will be serious and direct.

I write every day. When taking notes in class or at home. I use writing to make lists for the week or the day. I also write down important information for myself so I could look over it every day and soon it will be memorized.

5. Christopher Lopez

1.I thought the article was very informative and interesting to read. This article was telling readers how different genres of writing are affected in our everyday lives. From writing a joke on facebook to writing an email to a certain someone are written in different genres. I find it really important to learn how to differentiate types of writing.

2.The thing that I annotated was “I will admit that the word genre used to have a bad reputation and may still make some people cringe. Genre used to refer primarily to form, which meant that writing in a particular genre was seen as simply a matter of filling in the blanks. Anne Freadman, a specialist
    in genre theory, points out that “it is this kind of genre theory with its failures that has caused the discredit of the very notion of genre,bringing about in turn its disuse and the disrepair many of us found it in” (46). But genre theory has come a long way since then.” I annotated it because It really stood out to me and tells me how the definition of genre did not stay the same.

3.I think that personal essays is a genre that I know well. I learned it In school when I was younger. The common rhetoric features are they show people what type of person and writer you are.

4.I enjoy freedom but not without some type of structure or topic. Too much freedom makes me overthink and it slows down my writing process.

6. Steven Galushka

This article was insightful and informative for students to help them in their writing and their notion of genre. The author introduced the article really well, it is by far my favorite part.
    This line ,“all genres matter because they shape our everyday lives”. A lot of genres aren’t as popular as others like science fiction is popular but anime is a pretty rare genre. All genres are important because it shaped how people are and what has come out of them.
    Genres that I know of are science fiction, anime, fantasy, nonfiction, and fiction. Science fiction being my favorite genre because it branches into different media’s like video games and having a novel based on it is just a blast to experience.
    I enjoy full freedom when I write because if there is any limitation I get bored instantly and I can’t express myself well.

7. Camila Torres

While reading this essay , I found it very informative. It was interesting and gave me useful information. The author explained more in details about genre that would help students in their writing.
    Out of the things that I have annotated , the one I found more interesting was when the author stated,” by this point you might realize that you have been participating in many different genres.” This was interesting because throughout the text, I had a better understanding about genres. Giving examples about different genres also helped.
    A genre that I feel I know well is emailing. I believe I’ve progressed on my tone and how to be formal when emailing a teacher or manager . A common feature when emailing or speaking to a manager or teacher would be a formal tone. Such as having a formal outline, having proper grammar , and getting things straight to the point.
    I do enjoy free writing sometimes because in a way you can just write without having to think as much. I would also say its better when I have a form or outline to follow because I specifically know what I have to write because I believe im not that creative when it comes to free writing.

8. Kaylee Castaneda

I thought that the text was very informative overall and I liked how many examples were included throughout the text. I thought that it was a bit repetitive though and extended the main point a little too much.
    One thing that I annotated from the text is “Think about George Washington giving the first State of the Union Address. Because this genre
    was completely new, he had complete freedom to pick its form and
    content. All presidents following him now have these former addresses
    to help guide their response because the situation is now a reoccurring
    One.” I like how this example is used in the text and it also gives an example if how genres can be made into a new one.
    Some genres I feel I know well are information-based articles. I say this because in every school year we read about these and we have to analyze the text too.
    I enjoy it when we have freedom of writing. The words and the flow of the writing come easily and it is stress-free as well. I feel like by doing this you can write for a long period of time without worrying about which words come next. I like to write without a form because I wouldn’t really feel pressure. But I wouldn’t mind having an outline in my writing.

9. Rickey Bryant

1.Yes I like this piece I like how the way he stated some genre and the author explained it very well as audience to read this and author explain all the thing we do in our real live everyday.
    2. The one that i annotated is “ When I started writing this essay, I had some ideas of what I wanted to say. But first, I had to determine what this essay might look like”.This one stands out to me is because when times when I start writing a draft or essay I would have to think of what’s my topic sentence of me introducing it this quote definitely is me because sometime I will even overthink to know what to write.
    3.A genre could be email and narrative article.i feel like this can be learned in all English classes I feel like it can be learn outside of school.The rhetorical features for emails I feel like it’s communication because whenever you get stuck on something you can always reach out for anything questions you have so that your not stuck.
    4.Yes I enjoy free writing is because when I listen to music it’s like I’m another zone.It helps me concentrate on what write so that I’m not sick or panicked

10. Tania Natali Cedillo

Navigating genres was a very easy piece and well enough to comprehend. From the beginning to end it got interesting then while reading it , it became boring. The several things I observed throughout this piece , my main observation was on page 252 in the second paragraph stating the definition of genre and how it’s changed since an article was written. I annotated this because since then many others have written articles about genres and how it’s changed over the years. A genre I feel comfortable with is emailing. I chose emailing because it’s something I use every day ,every hour. I learned about this genre in elementary school. I enjoy freedom writing because I feel like it enables me to express my ideas on paper and write solely on what I want to express.

11. Diana

While reading this essay , I found it very informative. It was interesting and gave me useful information. The author explained more in details about genre that would help students in their writing. I was very interested in the way that the author used many different examples to try and get his point across. One line that i found interesting and annotated was when the author said “When I started writing this essay, I had some ideas of what I wanted to say. But first, I had to determine what this essay might look like”. I found this interesting bc when writing an essay I think it is important to think about the audience. Doing this helps so that the language is relatable but as well as the length of the text. A genre that I know well is a research essay. I find it easy to put things together after looking for articles. I think free writing is good because it lets me get every idea out and lets me go back and see if I could use anything.