Please read “Understanding Discourse Communities” by Dan Melzer and write a response to the questions below. I prefer it if you respond to this post directly, but if you choose you may create a new post.
DUE Feb. 16th
- What did you think of the piece? Be honest! Really! I want to know! Was it hard to understand? Interesting? Boring?
- According to John Swale (and Dan Melzer) what features do all discourse communities have? (List all 6!)
- What were the shared goals of Meltzer’s guitar jam group? Explain! Provide an example!
- What was Meltzer’s guitar group’s mechanism of intercommunication among members AND how do these use these methods to provide information and feedback? Explain! Provide an example!
- How does Meltzer define genre? What genres did Meltzer’s guitar jam group use?
- What is an example of the specific lexis (language) that Meltzer’s guitar jam group used? Explain! Provide an example!
- How do the beginners and experts in Meltzer’s guitar jam group work together? Explain!
- Can you think of a Discourse Community you might belong to?