Introductions!

Take 150 words or so and introduce yourself in a comment below. Use my example here as a guide.

Greetings Everyone,

My name is Patrick Corbett and I am your professor for ENG 1101-LC05. You can find my official college bio here. Most of my teaching is around writing and technology, and I have collaborated with many of your Hospitality Management professors, including Profs. Goodlad and Stewart. I have taught many different types of writing courses at six different colleges and universities, and I am extremely excited to be working with all of you. I live in Bensonhurst, have two kids, and I am what you might call a serious hobbyist in the kitchen so while I am not a hospitality professional I have great appreciation for the work done across the industry. I see this class, and my role as the professor, as helping you understand the absolutely vital importance of learning to communicate as best you can (and then get better still) in writing so that you can share your vision with others and do great things in the world.

23 thoughts on “Introductions!

1. Manindar Varma

Hello, My name is Manindar Varma and im 18 years old. I’ve always liked to socialize theres nothing that excites me more than meeting new people. Bonds are very special, I see it as the key to this world. Everyone needs someone wether you realize it or not. The top three traits that best describe me is playful, generous, and Caring. I have a passion for helping others and making friends hence my dream/goal in life. Theres nothing more i would love than to open my own bar, casino, hotel, and restaurant. As long as i can create a warm, friendly, and loving enviroment where new bonds are made, friendships are born and lastly provide a escape from reality to those who need it. I grew up with many hardships in life, i mean who doesnt but those that have it alittle rougher than others will be lead by faith into the open arms of my establishment. Thank you

2. Cristina Simeon

My name is Cristina Simeon and I am one of your students in ENG 1101 LC05. I am currently majoring in Hospitality Management. I have been working in this field for many years, I think restaurants are part of it, so I want to improve my skills, abilities and talents because this is a challenge for the owners and one day, I would like to own the best one. It is not as easy as I thought. The communication skills are very important in this field. I live in New York City, the city with the most international tourists and the city that never sleeps, where a large number of languages are concentrated. I am very glad to take the classes because I am closer to my dream. I am looking to learn new skills and techniques from you.

3. Abigail Salazar

Hello, My name is Abigail Salazar but you guys can call me Abi. I am majoring in hospitality management and i’m not really a fan of online learning but it is what it is. I’m a cat person and I really enjoy baking, I tend to bake a lot in the days im allowed to since my mom hates it when I bake even though she loves eating it. I am currently trying to figure myself out. I do really want to be involved in the food industry, I always told myself ima make it to cupcake wars and win. Watching food net works is what really got me wanting to be a pastry chef but as times keeps on going my dad started to talk to me how it isn’t easy in the kitchen and all that but him telling me his stories is what keeps on pushing me to do my dream. I’ve done many internships and personal events in the kitchen and i personal enjoy it, I enjoy it very very much. When it comes to being social events I let my shy self aside and i’m a completely different person but when it comes to school and presentations thats when im out. Lol.

4. Sofia

My name is Sofia Sotelo. I am going to be one of your students attending English 1101. I graduated from the Academy of Finance and Enterprise and am now a freshman at City Tech majoring, in Hospitality management. I choose to get into hospitality management because I want to be an Event planner in the future. Also, I want to be an Event Planner because my aunt used to work as an event planner, I would watch her organize events for people and seeing that at the end when she is all done I see a big smile on the person’s face of satisfaction. I am a dedicated, optimistic, and shy person but am willing to try to get out of my comfort zone although, it might take me time. I must say that English class was always the class that I had struggled the most because I would never find a way to structure my ideas or even know how to begin something. My first semester in college was not what I pictured it to be. However, I am ready to learn new things plus put all my effort into this class to succeed. I hope this will be a good semester for all of us.

5. Darimari Pujols

Hello everyone! My name is Darimari Pujols and I am majoring in Hospitality Management because I love to cook and eat. I am excited to start my college experience even though I know its going to be different for a while. I am not use to online schooling but I guess its something I will adapt too. Outside of school I enjoy spending time with friends and family. I am from Harlem New York, have three brothers, two sisters and one beautiful dog named Shelly. Overall I hope to better my writing and reading skills throughout this semester.

1. Patrick Corbett Post author

Welcome, Darimari! I often tell my friends in HMGT that when I retire, I’m finally going to get my last degree — an associates in Hospitality. It appears that I like to cook and eat as well 🙂

6. Mar Tenesaca

My name is Martha Tenesaca, most people call me Mar, which I also like. I am majoring in Hospitality Management because ever since I was seven, I was always attracted to the culinary industry. At first I thought all there was in the industry was being a cook or a chef, but as I grew up I realized that there is also the management side of the industry, which I learned is called the Front of the House. I want to be able to know more about both sides of the industry, and go on to work in corporate dining as a future career. I was born in Ecuador, and have lived in this country for 9 years. When I moved here I had to learn to adapt to a new culture, and the biggest change was the food. However, I grew to love the rich diversity of flavors and cuisines offered in this country, and I want to continue doing that in my future. I am excited to have the opportunity to start my college education, and learn more in this class as well.

1. Patrick Corbett Post author

Welcome, Mar! New York City is such a wonderful city to eat in! I’m also a big fan of Los Angeles and (oddly enough) Louisville, Kentucky for food. I have lived all over and can tell you those are two of my favorite cities in the United States for flavor but New York is the BEST.

7. Gissell

Hey, I’m Gissell Catano and I’m one of your students that will be attending your ENG 1101-LCO5 class. I graduated from Academy of Finance and Enterprise High School. I’m currently undecided as to what I specifically want to do in this major but I am interested in learning new languages, traveling and communicating with people. In this semester I hope to learn more about this field and start deciding on what area I am most interested in or fit best in. I travel a lot in the summer but my favorite place will always be New York. I live in Queens, NY and I’m an only child. I’m not sure what hobbies I currently have but I used to love dancing. I’m usually a quiet student but I try to participate as much as I can. I’m a really slow typer and I believe that one of the classes I’ve struggled the most would be English. However I look forward to gaining knowledge throughout the semester in this class.

8. Susan Look

My name is Susan Look, and I am your student in the class ENG 1101 – LCO5. I am currently a freshman at City Tech and I am majoring in Hospitality Management. I was born in America and I am the oldest of the six children. I am a hard worker and I take my studies very seriously. I chose to major in Hospitality Management because I wanted to be able to meet new people every day. I wanted to use my people skills to help people to the best of my ability. I think that being a hotel manager would be fun because I would always be meeting new people every day. I also enjoy helping people and I knew that if I wanted to help someone than I would need some kind of authority. I hope this class will prepare me for situations in the field. I am looking forward to being in this class and learning as much, as I can from you.

1. Patrick Corbett Post author

Welcome, Susan! Coincidentally, that’s one of the reasons I’m a professor–I get to meet new people constantly. AND, I get to learn a lot from them too! So, I am also looking forward to learning from you as well!

9. Milly Escobar

Hello, my name is Milly Escobar and I am a freshman for the 2020 fall semester. I am currently majoring in hospitality management because I have always been interested in this specific field. Growing up I watched many baking/cooking shows which caused me to love the kitchen field and everything included in the industry. I have always looked forward to learning, cooking and baking many things which is why I was in the culinary arts academy at Long Island City High School. This semester I hope to gain more skills in this class that I can use for future purposes and hope to learn more about the hospitality field as well. I am looking forward to this class and hope this will be a good semester as well. Learning online wasn’t the ideal college experience I wanted but I’m ready to put in the work and learn many things this semester.

1. Patrick Corbett Post author

Welcome, Milly! Learning online (and teaching online) is definitely a challenge, but we are going to do it right so that we can come back to campus ready to kill it!

10. Jadira Bermudez

Hey, I’m Jadira Bermudez and I’m one of your students that will be attending your ENG 1101-LCO5 class. My reason for coming to City Tech was because I wanted to be able to achieve my goal of being able to open up my own restaurants and hotels all around the world. I know that it’s going to be hard and long before I successfully achieve that goal but I’m willing to work hard, learn, and do things that will get me one step closer. I knew from a young age that I wanted to go to school for Hospitality and I say that because I’ve always been in the kitchen and always pretended to have my own restaurant with my family. I hope that picking this major I’m able to explore and travel the world while doing the things I love to do. I’m really excited to see what this semester has instored for me and what new things I learn.

11. Temia Collymore Sandiford

Hello, my name is Temia Collymore and I’m a freshman student in ENG 1101. I’m American and was born to Barbadian/Bajan parents. I grew up in Flatbush, but I’m a traveler and I’m very familiar with most of Brooklyn. I’ve attended The Urban Institute (a neighbor of City Tech), so this was always my first choice. In school, English was not my favorite subject but I did enjoy learning. I also wasn’t the best speaker nor writer but I never had a problem expressing my ideas. I graduated high school and decided to open a new path towards a hospitality career. Growing up, my mother and grandmother would always prepare meals, catering to events, and etc. However, I was more of a baker like my aunt, and let’s not forget… a go-getter. I sold cupcakes and brownies throughout high school, it was literally passion and a source of self-employment. Being an entrepreneur definitely ran in my family! I’m taking this college opportunity to pursue my career in Hospitality/Culinary Arts. I’m looking for to a successful semester and to building my communication skills both verbally and written. Hoping I learn to do speeches as well!

1. Patrick Corbett Post author

Welcome, Temia! Last fall, a student started a cupcake baking business in my film class, so I respect that entrepreneurial drive! Let’s see what you come up with!

12. ZiYu

My name is ZiYu Zhang and I am one of your students in class ENG 1101. Although I am currently a freshman in City Tech, I was supposed to graduate high school and go on to college two years ago. Also, For the past two years I have not been focusing on school but instead I work, so I will try my best to catch up anything I missed. I live in Staten Island with my parents, I am more of an indoor person. When it is my own free time, I like to watch movie analysis videos on YouTube which makes a summary of a movie, and I also like the spend time playing video games with my friends. For this course I look forward to catch up things I might have forgotten, and learn new techniques like comprehending an article and writing response paragraphs.

1. Patrick Corbett Post author

Hi ZiYu,

Good news! You will be learning new techniques far, far, far, far beyond simply comprehending an article and writing a response paragraph. You can thank me later! 😛

13. Dayneanda

Hi,my name is Dayneanda kendall and I am your student in the class ENG 1101-LCO5.Growing up,I love the hobby of watching Food channels and cooking .My dream is to open a restaurant and to be scene on one of the Food channels.I am from a Guyanese background and I live with my grandmother,little brother and 2 beautiful dogs.About 3 years ago I moved to America in search of a better education and opportunities.I am an easy going individual that is kind,hard working and knows what she wants in life to survive.I finished highschool here in only 2 years based on my school credits I had from Guyana and now iam here starting to pursue my career in the hospitality industry.I look forward to a smooth,successful and stressfree semester.